Raw goat milk and 3 month old???

Any thoughts or use with this. Breastfeeding was not an option and looking into alternatives other then formula.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• its breastmilk or formula thats it. those are your options till baby is a year old.
    Anonymous

• I dont know about "RAW", but my BIL had to have goats milk when he was a baby, he could not have formula, or cows milk and by the time mom found out he couldnt have any of those it was too late for her to breastfeed. I would check with your childs ped.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:37 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• raw goat's milk? Are you crazy? you have to pasteurize it in order for it to be safe because it could contain dangerous and harmful bacteria. Pasteurized goats milk might be a different issue. There are a lot of people who use it as an alternative. I would talk to your pediatrician first though.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 1:38 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Definitely not raw. And you need to check with the doctor whether goats milk would have the right kind of nutrients and the right amount for your child.

Answer by Bmat at 1:39 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• well i agree with pp breast milk or formula.. but there are other ways to get breast milk.. i dk what money like but you can buy from a milk bank (its spendy) or you can get wet nurse.. ppl usually use family or close freinds who they trust that are already nursing.. persoanlly thoufgh i would just do formula before i did either of those, but it is your choice. I worked in a daycare for over a year and we had Bf who used Goodstart to supplement and they it was closest to breat milk, but if you are dead set against fomrula your only real opitons (that i am aware of) are milk banks or a wet nurse
    JrsMommy07

Answer by JrsMommy07 at 1:40 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• It's my understanding that raw milk is a no no...there is a reason for pasteurization....it kills germs. Some of these germs, an infant can't fight off since they really have no immunities built up.

Anonymous

• ok i just googled it and found a site that (to my surprise) said you could as lng as followed s repciep that is listed there here is the site:
    http://www.rockwellnutrition.com/Can-I-use-Goat-Milk-instead-of-infant-formula_ep_92-1.html

and i would still double check with doc
    JrsMommy07

Answer by JrsMommy07 at 1:43 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Check with your pediatrician because even with the goat's milk formula recipe there are still vital nutrients missing!

Talk to your doctor about it and find out what kind of other supplements would be needed.

But raw milk? Nope. I've never seen, read or heard of it ever being recommended or okayed
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:48 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• My girl friends had to be put on that because they were lactose and couldnt handle formula. talk to your ped and ask them
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 3:08 PM on Feb. 17, 2009