Is it acceptable to invite a child to a Passover seder?

Just the child(a friend of the children in the family), and not his or her parents also.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on May. 12, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• To clarify, I specifically mean a child who is not Jewish.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:40 PM on May. 12, 2013

• I would check with the child's family. For some people it would be completely fine, for others it wouldn't.

I would call and talk with the parents first before saying anything to the child
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 7:43 PM on May. 12, 2013

• How old? Big difference between a 6 year old and a 12 year old.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:49 PM on May. 12, 2013

• Not sure what a passover seder is, so maybe clarify what that is to those of us that don't know. Then we can give you an opinion on it.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 7:52 PM on May. 12, 2013

• I think that is an invite you do privately one parent to another. "____ was really wanting to invite _____ to _________. What is, is __________. I have not mentioned it to your child because I wanted to see how you felt about it first. If you have any questions I am happy to answer them for you..."
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:06 PM on May. 12, 2013

• Sure. But, if you're going to use the world's longest Haggaddah, the kids had better not be too young.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:08 PM on May. 12, 2013

• As a parent, I would want to know ahead of time before my child was invited, only because there are symbolic meanings in the foods and rituals that I would want to go over with her, both so she didn't make a big etiquette mistake and offend anybody and so she had some idea of the meaning of the meal she was welcomed into.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:08 PM on May. 12, 2013

• Why wouldn't it be.

I could invite a child to Christmas Mass and take him or her without the parents but with their permission. Same deal
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:49 PM on May. 12, 2013

• Oh ffs
    There is never anything wrong with asking a kid to dinner
    If your kid can go to any meal where a prayer in jesus christ name is said why is there a question?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:37 PM on May. 12, 2013

• Ballad
    Passover / sedar is specifically geared towards kids
    There is even a treasure hunt
    In all reality outside of shitting on the table no person can ever do wrong at a religiously symbolic meal
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:41 PM on May. 12, 2013