How does citizenship work with other countries?

if im on (hypothetically) vacation and i happen to give birth in, say, Bora Bora, is my child automatically a Polynesian citizen? does it depend on the country? what if it's an American military family stationed in Germany, is the child born in the German hospital a German citizen or citizen of the US?

just wondering, S/O of the other citizenship question.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 7:58 PM on May. 12, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• US military bases and hospitals (like the regional hospital in Landstuhl, Germany) are US soil, like Embassies.

My mom was married to a soldier and gave birth to my sister at Landstuhl. My sister has never been a German citizen.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:38 PM on May. 12, 2013

• Different countries have different rules. If you are interested in a particular country, you can look up their political stance.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:51 PM on May. 12, 2013

• Well military can fill out forms that make the child a US citzen. The military helps you do that. Now people vacationing in a different country. I don't know about.
    But why would you go out of the country so close to your do date? That is kind of stupid to me.

Answer by louise2 at 8:11 PM on May. 12, 2013

• They're all different. In the same way that treatment of illegals is different. That, of course, is one of the things people use to justify giving criminals a free pass - for a lot of countries, the child born in the US would become the illegal immigrant if they returned home with the parent, and in those countries, being illegal is punishable by prison, not a slap on the hand.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:18 PM on May. 12, 2013

• I only know what I said in the other question, where a friend of mine wad born in Italy while her parents were on vacation and she had dual citizenship there and here in US until she was 21, if she didn't return to italy to live before 21 then she lost her citizenship there.

Every country is different.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:27 PM on May. 12, 2013

• Military bases are considered American soil, wherever in the world they are, so babies born to servicemen and their families are American citizens. But babies born in other countries, not on military bases, sometimes get dual citizenship. I know a person who was born in Italy; he has dual citizenship there and here. Also a person born in Canada who has citizenship there and in the U.S.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:02 PM on May. 12, 2013

• The military will give the child dual, natural born citizenship. My dad was born in the Philippines while my Grandfather was stationed there and he is a dual citizen (or at least was, not sure if it expired since he hasn't lived there since). Not sure how vacation works but I'd assume the child would at least be an American citizen if the parents returned (not sure about natural born though).
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 10:37 PM on May. 12, 2013

• As others have stated, different countries, different rules. I became pregnant while we were in Germany. Husband left on deployment soon after and the paperwork to document our child as a US citizen was insane. I decided to go back home to have our son. Had I of stayed, Jeremy would have dual citizenship.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:46 PM on May. 12, 2013

• i held dual citizenship in Japan and the US till i turned 18 simply b/c my parents residence was not on the AF base, tho i was born on a military base hospital. from what i can remember from the AFN (military channel) tv commercials...a US citizen has until the baby's 1st birthday to turn in the forms for US citizenship or...the child is a citizen of the birth country? (not sure about that last part).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:18 AM on May. 13, 2013

• Every country is different. Citizenship is not automatically given in the place where you are born. If your born in France to American parents you are American and not French because it depends on your parents' nationalities not on the place where you're born.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 1:51 AM on May. 13, 2013