Tubal ligation??

I wanted to get it done but now I'm not sure my family is complete. My sister did hers and doesn't regret it. Help. How do I know if its right for my family. (Edit) I'm 28 and have 3 boys going on 10, 8 and 3. My boyfriend and father to my youngest raises all the kids. I've been going through a divorce since 2010.

SongBird22

Asked by SongBird22 at 8:49 PM on May. 12, 2013 in Health

• If you aren't 100% absolutely sure, don't do it! I almost did after my 3rd child when I was 27. I thought my marriage was rock solid and we were done having kids. 5 years later I divorced. I am now remarried to a man that had no bio kids so we had 2 more together. If I'd had a tubal he would have been okay with no kids but I can't imagine our life without them.
    Look into some long term birth control options, like essure

Answer by missanc at 9:12 PM on May. 12, 2013

• Just like with having kids, you'll KNOW when the time is right.

I was almost 26 when my daughter was born. Getting a tubal was something that my doctor and I discussed. Something made me hesitate about scheduling the tubal at the same time I scheduled her C-section. I didn't know why at the time. For 4.5 years after my daughter was born I SWORE I was done having kids and didn't need/want any more. 2 years ago, this July, hubby and I decided, on our own, that we did want one more.

We've been trying, off and on, since then to get me pregnant. At lease now I know why I hesitated 6 years ago.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:05 PM on May. 12, 2013

• It is a very difficult decision to make and one that requires a lot of thought. Make sure you know all of the details of the surgery, the side effects, the long term effects. EVERYTHING. I got mine done 11 yrs ago and regret it. I still get my period only it isn't regular anymore (used to be 28 days and last 4 days. now usually a week late and lasts up to a week) and the cramps are way worse. Plus, I may have been done having kids with the man I was married to then, but now that we are divorced, it would be nice to be able to offer that to my next husband.

I really wish I had gone with an IUD or the pill instead. Especially since they now have a pill where you don't get your period. That would be nice.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 9:12 PM on May. 12, 2013

• How old are you and your DH? How many kids do you have? How old is your youngset child? Those are factors in if you get a tubul? And of course if you both agree to do it. You need to be 100% sure YOU do not want any more kids. Because if something happens to your DH, divorce or death. Will you want more kids.

Answer by louise2 at 9:22 PM on May. 12, 2013

• As long as you are in doubt, do not do it.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:45 PM on May. 12, 2013

• You'll know.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:36 PM on May. 12, 2013

• If you're not completely sure, don't do it. Some people will try to tell you you can get it reversed if you change your mind, but it is not that simple. Even if you CAN reverse it, it does not guarantee you'll get pregnant. So be very, very, completely, absolutely positively sure that you are done before you do it. I had mine done when I had my second son, and I have never regretted it. But, I was also completely sure that I was about to be a single mom (getting divorced at that time) and had no plans to remarry, and no desire at all to have any more children than what I had right then. That has never changed. If you can't say that you're totally certain you don't want more children, then you should look into other, less permanent birth control. You can use an IUD or a shot for longer term birth control that doesn't require a lot of effort on your part.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:42 AM on May. 13, 2013