Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you file for child support?

I wouldn't even know where to start.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (5)
  • You can go to Family Court, and there is an office there that will give you the proper forms, and tell you how to file.

    Answer by EireLass at 1:41 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

  • Call social services and ask them for the number of the child support enforcement office in your area. Call them and make an appointment to come in. If you arent on any social services sort of aid like food stamps etc then there will be a charge of $25 to open a case. They have you fill out an application with your name, childs name, SS#s and exs name and social and address. Get as much info on ex as possible they use it to contact him. They then file on your behalf through the state and will get a court order. Generally now everything is automatically garnished from their paychecks but its extremely easy. You just call and pay the $25 and they do everything for you.

    Answer by gemgem at 1:42 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

  • It's usually through the Dept of Revenue for the state. Look up Child Support in your phone book or online for your state. Some states will allow you to apply online.

    Answer by admckenzie at 2:07 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

  • Call a pro-bono lawyer. Social Services should be able to direct you.

    Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 2:20 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

  • Go to the Division of Child Support for your state and they do it all for you....i.e Virginia Division of CHild Support

    Answer by PunkinLPN at 6:38 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.