kidnapping?

I see alot of answers on here were one mom tells the other to pack her things, and leave her hubby (taking the kids with them) and never going back. Why is it we encourage women to do this but if a man does its kidnapping??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• No its not kidnapping. At least in the eyes of the law.
    Anonymous

• I'm assuming the answer you refer to are about moving out and into a local place, not running and hiding.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:42 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• its kidnapping regardless of if your man or the women if you dont have the proper court papers to take your kids far away. but your right we do encourgage mothers to do this more then we do the fathers and thats not right.
    Anonymous

• Leaving her husband and never going back is not the same thing as kidnapping. She can leave her husband, not go back, and the father still see the child. It's call joint custody.
    Anonymous

• In most cases they recommend to that because the husband is abusive. and then its def. not kidnapping. She is protecting herself and the kids.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 1:45 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Its not kidnapping unless there is a court order in place saying that you cannot move or take the child. I went through this and really to be honest think using the term kidnapping is terrible. My son WAS kidnapped by his dad at gunpoint and I had to go through missing and exploited children. Simply leaving your husband or wife and taking the kids isnt kidnapping. Theres a huge difference.

Answer by gemgem at 1:46 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• If you cross state lines with your child, the other person with or without a custody agreement can in fact take you to court. When I left the state with my daughter my X husband could have gotten me on kidnapping charges. I would believe that there are different laws for different states.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 1:52 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• wow this is a popular question

I guess it depends on the situation? packing up and leaving why? there is a difference if she is abused, kids are, etc
    than just i dont want to be with you anymore, see ya
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 2:02 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• It is not kidnapping to leave your spouse. It's only considered kidnapping if there is court ordered custody involved.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:13 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I did not have any court order at all..
    I had to hire a lawyer in the state that I left because that state claimed to have jurisdiction of my daughter (her homestate)...my X was trying to get me on kidnapping charges....
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 2:17 PM on Feb. 17, 2009