Should I stay out of this?

Recently a relative of my SO died. My SO's parents were unable to attend the funeral as they live out of state. My SO said he would go and represent the family. I offered to go with, but he said that wasn't necessary. He did go to the funeral and afterwards talked to his parents. They are upset with him because he did not talk to the widow. This has turned into a huge disagreement between his parents and him. I personally do not think the widow is going to remember who talked to her on the day that she buried her husband of 40+ yrs. And I think his parents should just drop it.

Is there anything I can do or should I just continue to stay out of this?

tempsingl3mom

Asked by tempsingl3mom at 9:42 PM on May. 12, 2013 in Relationships

• Know for an absolute fact that the widow remembers that day as a blur. What she will remember is the people who think of her 2 weeks, 2 months later. Those who give her the chance to retell her story and vent and lean on. His parents should give the widow a call now. But you don't need to be the one to tell them that. Just tell your husband that he has done a good thing so far and the two of you should feel free to reach out to the widow, the kids, the man's other family and just be friendly.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 7:36 AM on May. 14, 2013

• Stay out of it. Yes, they're being silly, but stay out of it.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:59 PM on May. 12, 2013

• I would support my husband. He was kind enough to attend and he is old enough to use his own judgements. I would not get between your hubby and his parents unless they are totally abusive. I do not allow ANYONE to verbally abuse my husband, not even his parents.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:03 PM on May. 12, 2013

• Stay out of it.. They'll get over it.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 10:02 PM on May. 12, 2013

• I'd stay out of it.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:08 PM on May. 12, 2013

• It is done and over. At this point, it won't change anything. Stay out of it.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:19 PM on May. 12, 2013

• I would stay out of it
    heathers5500

Answer by heathers5500 at 10:42 PM on May. 12, 2013

• Give your so any support he may need..but in terms of the dispute, I would stay out of it and let your so and his parents work it out.
    virgo550

Answer by virgo550 at 11:57 PM on May. 12, 2013

• I would stay out of it.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:45 PM on May. 12, 2013

• Stay out of it. If they're so worried they should call her personally or send a thoughtful letter.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:32 PM on May. 12, 2013