What's your view on unusual names?

From a very young age I decided I did not want my children's names to be unusual I wanted them to be 'normal' so to speak. Since my sister had a very unusual name and she got picked on quite a bit. So I went with this and named my children very generic names, now it is baby name picking time again I have found that I am drawn to some very unusual names and am actually considering them. If you'd like to give me your opinion on them any help would be welcome, message me...

But really I'm asking would you or have you considered giving your child a very unusual name? Or do you prefer classic names? And why?

:)

HNK11

Asked by HNK11 at 1:41 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My daughters name is Penelope Atlys. It isnt crazy, but it isnt common either. I like unusual names. When you have a "normal" name, you have to share it with too many people.
    sylvia10907

Answer by sylvia10907 at 1:43 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• "Unusual" is in the eye of the beholder. What do you consider unusual?
    Anonymous

• Both. I named my son Mason.. but I LOVE unusual names- I guess its how I feel when I'm pregnant again, what I'm having and all that jazz... But both are great! :)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:44 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• with my first and 3rd babies, I went with traditional names but spelled non-traditional.
    Alexandar James (instead of Alexander) & Rebekah Kathlynn (like Kathleen) but my middle son is just plain old Christopher Robert.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 1:44 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I didnt consider naming my kids anything unusual because I remember some kids in school who had unusual names and being picked on relentlessly. I didnt want that for my kids. Instead I went through baby books and found names that maybe werent used as much or as often and went with those. The irony is now some of those names are back to being popular LOL, like Gavin. I named my son Gavin. Hes 16 now and when he was born no one really had that name.

Answer by gemgem at 1:45 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I'm all for unusual. My sons name is Carbon Quest Phillips. Obviously both me and my DH wanted him to have a name no one else would have. plus that name just fit him perfectly.
    I have somewhat of an unusual name. and i did get picked on. i used to hate my name. but now that i am grown up i love my name. i love being "out of the pack"
    RenaJean

Answer by RenaJean at 1:45 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I have an extremely common name and every class I was in had another girl with the same name. It was annoying to the point by fifth grade I went by my last name. Kids will pick on other kids any way they can. If it's not the name it will be their hair, nose, weight, shoes. I say pick the name you feel will represent the child.
    Mommy2Bears

Answer by Mommy2Bears at 1:55 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I prefer classic names - names that are 'real' names. Not so-called names that have been known as verbs or nouns forever.

Naming a child is not an art project.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:55 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• i personally like classic with a twist - but i feel is you have one son named 'jason' and you name the other something like 'viewerie' your probably going to have more issuse with 'what was mommy thinking' then whos more popular and whos getting picked on
    leapyear

Answer by leapyear at 2:03 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• i like both
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:08 PM on Feb. 17, 2009