My mothers day was special... until my mom ruined it :(

My son made me a card and a little bowl in school and it made me so happy. Then my boyfriend walked in with a huge bouqet of roses. The roses were a huge surprise though because he didn't do anything last mothers day (he's not my sons father btw). Then later I was talking to my mom about how surprised I was that he got me flowers.. that's when she broke down and said she told him to get me the flowers, and that she would pay for them, because she felt bad that I really didnt get anything special. I seriously almost cried. My bf is not a flower giving guy (mainly because he thinks they're over rated), so it was very special for me, and now its ruined. Idk, maybe I'm over reacting... what are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 AM on May. 13, 2013 in Holidays

• Also, should I tell my bf that I know? Or just let it be?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:34 AM on May. 13, 2013

• My thoughts are that it's your mom's fault, way more than your boyfriend's, that your special day was ruined. If your mom couldn't absolutely keep it secret no matter what that she bought the flowers, she should never have done it. She shouldn't be interfering between you and your boyfriend, either. As for telling him, I wouldn't. Why let his day be ruined, too? He'd feel embarrassed and angry at your mom, maybe for a long time. It's not worth it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:43 AM on May. 13, 2013

• I am trying to figure out why your mom told you that. That wasn't nice at all,. As for your bf , I wouldn't say anything because maybe he would see how happy you were. Maybe next time, he may do that on his own.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:50 AM on May. 13, 2013

• how did your mom ruin it? You'd rather be deceived? You need to focus on the thoughtless BF. Get rid of him instead of blaming your poor mom. I think she told you so that you wouldn't be deceived by the BF that was willing to take credit for your mom's thoughtfulness. What a douche!
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 3:29 AM on May. 13, 2013

• By the way, the day would've been ruined if she never bought anything at all because he definitely wouldn't have bought you anything. I think she was testing him to see how far he would go to deceive you.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 3:31 AM on May. 13, 2013

• Some men have to be prodded. Don't get upset. She tried to make it nice for you. She just should have kept it to herself. What's the chances she's not being truthful? It really doesn't matter either way. He could have given them to his own mother but he chose to give them to you.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:35 AM on May. 13, 2013

• they were both thinking of you. and they both wanted good.
    kujus04

Answer by kujus04 at 4:31 AM on May. 13, 2013

• not ruined at all

do NOT tell your bf you know- keep thanking him (MAYBE he will get the hint that he should do this on his own next time)

some men (lots) are just not capable of imaging how important flowers (etc) are to a woman (these men just do not get it)
    your mom (in her wisdom) knows this and was 'training' him to try to get this concept. telling you is not bad either
    you should know how your man needs training in this area

IF your bf is wonderful in almost every other way, fantastic. AND if your mom thinks the world of him (except for the lack of his knowledge about gifts for his woman) fantastic too

Praise him- maybe he will feel so good that he will do this again next holiday/birthday

men is not smart in this department- they need training, if he did not get trained as young boy, he needs it now. your mom was trying to train him to so this type of thing on his own

* he might never learn
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:11 AM on May. 13, 2013

• try to find humor in it, and rejoice your mother is still around to love you so much that she wants to train your man to show his love with flowers
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:12 AM on May. 13, 2013

• Remind your mom that what your son did was very special. And I agree that meybe this was an eye opener for your boyfriend, but did he do something nice for his mom (assuming they have a nice relationship)?

silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 8:41 AM on May. 13, 2013