Teen Marriages?

Did you or anyone you know get married as a teen? Are there any success stories out there?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:33 AM on May. 13, 2013 in Relationships

• My mom and mil were both married at 18. My inlaws have been married for over 50 years, my dad passed away very young after 13 years of marriage. One of my best friends was also married at 18 and has been married for 25 years.
    There are success stories of teen marriages but there are more that end in divorce.

Answer by missanc at 5:46 AM on May. 13, 2013

• I got married at 17 and now 5 years later it's been wonderful. I don't think I'd want my kids to get married that young but for us it's worked well and we are still best friends. So yes it can work with the right couple.
    GarysWife1991

Answer by GarysWife1991 at 7:52 AM on May. 13, 2013

• My best friend in high school got married at 17 (her husband was 21), and they're still married now, 18 years this summer. She did tell me that there was one time when they did talk about divorce, but they got past it and no one ever even knew.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:18 AM on May. 13, 2013

• My husband and I were married when I was 18 and that was more than 48 years ago. I do not think teens are mature today as they used to be. Most have been too coddled to be able to persevere when the hard times come. So I would not recommend early marriage in today's climate.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:27 AM on May. 13, 2013

• I got married at 16 and my dh and I will be celebrating our 15th anniversary on May-23rd. we love each other very much, not saying we haven't had our ups and downs but we try, we are always honest with each other, and never go to bed mad or upset, 5 kids later he and my girls are my everything, I couldn't imagine life without them.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 9:02 AM on May. 13, 2013

• My mother got married when she was 15 and wasn't pregnant but became pregnant within that year and the man left her before the baby was born.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:05 AM on May. 13, 2013

• My grandmother was married at 19 and she and my grandfather have been married for 52 years.I don't think it's impossible to succeed, just not very likely. All depends on the person(s).
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 9:10 AM on May. 13, 2013

• I got married right after my 19th birthday. We had been together for 4 years before we got married and have been married going on 8 years.
    It depends on the Maturity level of the people getting married and not so much on the age. You could get married at 30 but if you're both still immature brats it's not going to work out.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:14 AM on May. 13, 2013

• I got married at 17 and got divorced 4 years later got married again at 21 a month before i turned 22 and i have been married for 5 years. My sister got married at 18 and has been married for almost 13 years. My cousin got married at 17 and only lasted till she turned 18. I have another cousin that married at 17 and is still married i just dont know how many years. Another cousin who got married at 18 and got divorced a couple years later. Basically most of my family got married in there teens and they are either still together with that person or are remarried. It's a 50/50 chance these days no matter what age you are.
    megclark22

Answer by megclark22 at 10:45 AM on May. 13, 2013

• My grandparents were 15 & 16. They celebrated 60 years together until my grandpa passed away. My aunt & uncle were 16 & 18. They are going to be celebrating 63 years. I have many other aunts/uncles that were in their teens and are celebrating 50 & 60 years together including my own parents. They've always taught me that a marriage is not disposable. You work at it. My first husband didn't agree and left for greener pastures. I've been with my current dh for 7 years and we're still going strong. Would love to hit at least 30 years together before one of us dies. It takes 2 people to make a marriage work. If one or the other gives up then the marriage is over. Age has no say in it.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:44 PM on May. 13, 2013