If Superheroes Acted Like God, Would They Still Be Considered the ‘Good Guys’?

What if our modern day superheroes solved problems like the God of the bible? Would they still be considered good? Why don’t we need to be told that Superman, Batman, The Avengers, etc, are good, but we do need to be told that God is good? Because actions speak for themselves. If you were never told that the God of the bible is good – if those verses were omitted – would you come to that conclusion on your own? The destroyer of cities and worlds who fail to worship Him…Good?! OR is it more likely that this God is a product of a culture seeking to justify its methods and actions against other cultures?

(via DarkMatters2525)

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:16 AM on May. 13, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Superheroes have flaws and admit to them. The ones who don't, those are the villains. The Abrahamic god does not admit its flaws. All the other gods do.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:39 AM on May. 13, 2013

• That depends on your interpretation of the God of the Bible, and whether you apply an intellectually honest interpretation to the text. For example, blaming God for things we KNOW did NOT happen isn't very intellectually honest. As well, I think it's important to remember that just like people today use God's name to justify everything or claim His hand on everything (Haiti, Aids, etc, etc, etc), doesn't necessarily mean that He is really responsible for these things, the same goes for the authors of the texts of the Bible. Especially when one reads the texts as a progression of belief and sees the movement from tribal god to universal God, as well as the development from prior myth to more established religion. A lot of the narratives in the Old Testament, especially, mirror and reflect the texts of other cultures/faiths who influenced the authors, etc, etc, etc.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:43 AM on May. 13, 2013

• So it really DOES all come down to how one reads and understands the text. Someone who acts the way a lot of Christians claim - spiteful, wrathful, vindictive, etc - yes, I think they would not be considered a "good" guy for long. But not all Christians interpret or read the text that way, and there have been people in religion throughout all time insisting that God is LOVE and stressing that interpretation of faith. I think the God of that interpretation WOULD be a "good guy."
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:45 AM on May. 13, 2013

• Actions may speak for themselves. But until you can claim to have omniscience, omnipotence and omnipresence you really cannot judge if an action is ultimately good or bad.
    Pretend for a second that you loose your limitations of time, space and physicality. Can you say with any intellectual honesty that your actions would remain the same if you knew the ramifications of them? I guarantee you that they wouldn't be the same. Your perception of compassion, of what's good and bad, of harm will change with that knowledge. And the rest of us won't understand why you act that way because in our limited understanding, it looks "bad". It doesn't mean that it is.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:16 AM on May. 13, 2013

• Yesterday my daughter and a couple of little boys she hangs out with were playing tag. I had to step in and shut down the game because they started running through a place that had a lot of electronics set up and cords dangling, and they wouldn't stay away from the area even after being asked several times. From the five-year-old point of view, I was being mean and arbitrary, kind of like many people say God is. My daughter couldn't see the bigger picture, the logical reasons I had for the actions I took, so I wasn't the good guy.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:31 PM on May. 13, 2013

• "is it more likely that this God is a product of a culture seeking to justify its methods and actions against other cultures?"

i think the Bible is a product of this, maybe even this incarnation of God, but not the general idea or a higher power. 

oh and superheroes arent always good...they are just good more often than bad and still fail like all humans. just saying :) 

okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:19 PM on May. 13, 2013

• Yes because superhero's still can't stop people from hurting themselves and others. We have everything we need to live in a loving, caring, well nourished world.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:10 PM on May. 13, 2013

• well lets see a god that kills and super heroes that saves lives, I am thinking if I did not know better I would have thought that God was the villain and that the superheroes were the good guys.
    meliscool72

Answer by meliscool72 at 7:43 AM on May. 18, 2013