Isolation boxes for children with behavioral problems...would you give permission to use this?

http://www.kboi2.com/news/local/Isolation-box-Abuse-or-therapy-at-Wash-elementary-181186721.html

I say this is abuse and there is no way in hell that anyone would be locking my child in this thing, I'd be raisin all kinds of hell!

AnonNdrag

Asked by AnonNdrag at 9:10 AM on May. 13, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• My youngest (before I adopted her) had a control problem so bad that at 5 she was placed in a Pysch Hospital from the foster home she was in. She would get so bad that she would destroy her bed, the walls, hitting the other kids, etc. She had to be put on the floor and held until she gained control of herself. This often times caused her to hurt herself or the person holding her. I would far rather she have been able to be placed in one of these rooms where she could go totally out of control without anyone being hurt until she was able to gain control again. Until you have walked in the parents shoes I don't judge them for choosing this as an option.

As long as a parent has signed the permission and is contacted upon the child being placed in the room I have no problem. The way the system is set up now there's not a lot a school can do. The most they can do is suspend a child which doesn't help them. How does that help?
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:47 AM on May. 13, 2013

• If it was used correctly I wouldn't have a problem with it. But obviously in this case it's not being used correctly.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:23 AM on May. 13, 2013

• What works for one child does not work for another.

This, exactly. That type of set up (without the padding) was forced on us by the preschool I went to as a kid - they were eventually shut down. My niece otoh, could've used that when she was younger. She could scream herself to the point of bleeding, and needed a non-stimulant space to calm down. Tall order when she's at grandma's house surrounded by family and pets or even worse, my house where all the childproof rooms were full of toys.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:26 PM on May. 13, 2013

• Rosehawk - that's why it needs to be set up for each child. What works for one child does not work for another. As a former foster family I had over 60 kids. One kid did well with sticker charts, one it was time outs in a corner, another sending to their bedroom but for another child sending them to their bedroom was abusive! That's what his dad would tell him to do before he raped him. You have to judge each child by theirself. A parent know their child better then anyone. This room could be abusive if any child was put in it for any reason BUT it can also be the best thing for them.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:44 AM on May. 13, 2013

• NO, that looks like a padded cell, and I would dare someone to try to put any child in one of those, and I find out about it... That's horrible.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:15 AM on May. 13, 2013

• Isolation has NEVER helped my kids when they're acting out. There is NO WAY I'd allow that for either of them.

My son, 9.5, has Asperger's and ADHD. The Autism is counteracted by his intelligence, for the most part (per his therapist), and the ADHD is being controlled by medication.

My daughter, 6, is a pretty standard tomboy. She's 6-going-on-16, complete with mouth and attitude.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:27 AM on May. 13, 2013

• Parents have to allow the child to go inside.
    Children ask t be placed inside.
    These two points were in the article itself.
    Obviously not every child will ask, because they are at a point where they are out of control and can not ask.
    Obviously it can be abused. But since a parent has to ok its use I doubt it. I would imagine, though it is not stated, that the parents are notified each and every time the child has to be placed inside.
    Box makes it sound like a packing crate when it is the approximate size of a closet with padding.
    If it gives a child a safe and quiet place to get themselves back together I am ok with it.
    Have you never placed your child in "isolation" until they can calm down and interact better with others?
    MY children's rooms were not play areas. They were for sleeping and study and quiet time. Bigger than a closet. Yes. Not padded.
    But isolated and quiet.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:46 AM on May. 13, 2013

• For normal kids under normal circumstances, the box probably wouldn't be necessary. But I've worked with severely emotionally disturbed and autistic kids who could have benefitted from a safe, non-stimulating environment where they could calm down. The box could be abused, yes, but anything can be abused. If used properly, it might do a lot of good for kids who have the potential to seriously harm themselves or others when they are spun up.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:23 PM on May. 13, 2013

• My school had something similar when I was younger. The teacher used a large cardboard box and had the class paint it. There was a desk inside it. But, it made no sense to put someone in a time-out in there. It gives teachers an excuse just to put kids in there whenever they feel like it instead of the teacher dealing with the student. I say it's the equivalent of locking a kid in a cage. Students who act out should have an adult to talk it out and help them figure out why they are acting out. The box is just being lazy. How will kids learn to cope with emotions if adults don't teach them how? If my kids were at that school, I'd pull them out of that school. What bothers me is that they lock it and can potentially forget to unlock it. It's also a fire hazard if a child can't get out.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 2:15 AM on May. 14, 2013

• To me it looks like a closet, yes its padded and yes it "safe" meaning there are no hazardous entities in the room in which the child can hurt themselves on but I find it a cruel and unusual form of punishment. My daughter is prone to wild and violent outburst and when that happens at school, her teach will hold her, wrap her in a blanket or put a weighted blanket on her to calm her. Music helps her and so does rocking, if needed they put her helmet on her as well. Never, never would they lock her in a closet sized room with only a small hole in which to look out of and then just walk away and leave her there without human contact. Sending a child to their room I can understand, its their room, their safe place. It has windows and is large and not claustrophobic. In Ohio it is illegal to lock a child in their room as it is a restraint, how is this box any different than that?
    AnonNdrag

Comment by AnonNdrag (original poster) at 3:06 PM on May. 13, 2013