I don't get it

What is the issue with the IRS and "targeting" tea party groups

The way I see it- is if someone-ANYONE is asking for exempt status...why should they NOT look into it?
do you think this is being blown out of proportion at all?
and am I just an idiot for wondering what the problem is?

charlotsomtimes

Asked by charlotsomtimes at 9:22 AM on May. 13, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I haven't read a lot on it, but I think the problem people are having with it is that they seem to be, as you stated, targeting certain groups. Meaning, it's not every request being looked into. It's more: here's two requests, both exactly identical except that one is "tea party" while the other is not, and they're looking into the "tea party" one while simply approving the other.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:25 AM on May. 13, 2013

• If you had ever been targeted by them, you would understand the difference and it is huge!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:06 AM on May. 13, 2013

• I think if a government agency TARGETS one specific group it is wrong. All should be scrutinized equally and with the same frequency.

How would you feel if the IRS decided that your last name should be flagged and anyone with that last name would be put through the ringer for no reason other than that it sounded suspicious.

Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:34 AM on May. 13, 2013

• When out of 225 groups 75 of them were Tea Party groups that's targeting them. That's 1/3.

So if the government would put the name "charlotsomtimes" on the list and all of a sudden it's now YOUR name on the list and you're put thru the wringer would you have a problem with it? I know I would.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:56 AM on May. 13, 2013

• The issue is that the government is zeroing in on certain groups and letting others pass more easily through the tax exemption process, simply based on what the groups happen to stand for. It isn't the job of the government to approve or deny groups based on their philosophy. Being scrutinized to make sure the rules of tax exemption are being followed should be equal, no matter what group is being investigated.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:15 PM on May. 13, 2013

• I'm not sure but the tea party isn't a not-for-profit, is it? Wouldn't it fall under a political organization which would mean its not completely tax exemp but they are required to list their donors who give over a certain amount, usually a large amount. So, if my understanding is accurate, and I don't know that it is, then requiring them to list all their donors is targeting people who contribute to political campaigns and that is an invasion of citizen's privacy and political censoring for the purpose of harassment.

Regardless, this is unfair, everyone should get equal treatment. Were democratic organizations and republican organizations given the same treatment?
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 4:52 PM on May. 13, 2013