Which spelling makes the most sense for the pronunciation?

We love the name Theron for our baby if its a boy. It's a Greek name it means "hunter" we probably won't use a nick name since its a short name but if we did probably would be Theo.

The name is pronounced Thair-en rhymes with Aaron or Sharon.

To get the correct pronunciation should we spell it the tradition "Theron" or "Tharon" ? I don't typically like to screw with spellings of names but in a case where the name is unfamiliar and hard (somehow) or people to pronounce it may make it easier.

Someone once thought it was pronounced thur-on or throne...which is incorrect. And to specific it makes a th sound not a t sound like tarren it's a th like the end o bath.

Rockabella

Asked by Rockabella at 9:39 AM on May. 13, 2013 in Baby Names

• I think it depends on whether you want to correct people all the time. I, too, would have thought it was pronounced "Thur-on", of course, once corrected, I'd get it right from then on. If you're okay with having to correct people on the pronunciation all the time, or having to constantly spell it for people, then go with the traditional spelling (which, btw, I do like). But if you really want to go simple and avoid hassle, then changing it to "Tharon" might help - I say might, because I'm sure there are still going to be people who will butcher it anyway. lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:45 AM on May. 13, 2013

• Traditional Theron. I saw it and the way you are pronouncing it is the way I thought it would be pronounced, and I don't like the way Tharon looks.
    Good Name, I like it!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:42 AM on May. 13, 2013

• Theron, but plan on having it mispronounced often.

Answer by missanc at 9:54 AM on May. 13, 2013

• Sorry for all of the spelling errors. Should of taken a second look at it. I am on my phone and I have clumsy thumbs when I use a touch screen. And thanks btw to those who answer :)
    Rockabella

Comment by Rockabella (original poster) at 9:44 AM on May. 13, 2013

• I would spell it the traditional way.Neat name btw. :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:46 AM on May. 13, 2013

• I've tried to like the spelling Tharon but since it doesn't seem authentic to me since I have loved the name Theron and the spelling for so long. Might just have to stick with the spelling Theron and deal with the occasional correction. Too bad it's not a name that's a little more known :/
    Rockabella

Comment by Rockabella (original poster) at 10:19 AM on May. 13, 2013

• Spell it the correct way but do expect some people to pronounce it wrong. I think it's a great name!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:47 AM on May. 13, 2013

• There's a news reporter on my news channel named Theron Zahn. I'd go with Theron.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:24 AM on May. 13, 2013

• Tharon will probably be pronounced Thar-In. Theron will probably get Ther-On but it looks better.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:00 PM on May. 13, 2013

• Keep the traditional spelling. You'll probably be correcting people's pronunciation either way.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:04 PM on May. 13, 2013