My dog went missing for a few hours this morning...

For some reason when my oldest son who has developmental delay, couldn't find our dog to get her back in for the night, he just went to bed & didn't alert us to the fact that she was missing. So when I got up this morning & couldn't find her I went berserk! She's 13 & needs daily meds. Luckily, after dropping my dau off at school as I was coming home some nice woman was putting her in our front yard. I hugged the woman & cried tears of joy as I thanked her a million times. The dog must've had a bit of an adventure, since she's slightly limping & was very thirsty. My other dog kept sniffing her & barked at her as if to yell at her for escaping. Those few hours of not knowing were pure hell, but the relief of having her back is just over the top. Has this ever happened to you?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 10:11 AM on May. 13, 2013 in Pets

• Our dog will take off after a scent every so often. When he does bolt (we don't have a fence) I take to answering the phone "hello, this is Rocky's mom." Then I go get him and he gets a bath because he's usually filthy and extra stinky. He actually just did this on Friday. It was 2 hours and 2 nice random strangers who helped me out.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:15 AM on May. 13, 2013

• No, ours would run off occasionally, but he would always come back. He never ventured out for a whole night. He was a baby and he probably would have come to the door and barked when he was ready to come back in.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:18 AM on May. 13, 2013

• Thank goodness you got her back!! Yes we had a cat that was missing for several days. I tearfully called and called. Then on the way to my sister's on the 4th day for dinner. I had my husband stop the car about a mile from the house and called and called again and heard what I was convinced was our cat. My husband said no way! But we followed the cries and sure enough, the cat had been chased up a tree and being lame, couldn't get down. The fire dept does not rescue cats, so we borrowed a ladder from people who lived nearby and lifted the cat down. He was so thirsty and hungry.

Answer by Bmat at 10:26 AM on May. 13, 2013

• I guess the cat got out the day we left on vacation
    We thought she was hiding in the house and locked everything up

Got home and heard her meowing outside a window, begging to come in
    She was 5 days on her own, in the great big outdoors:(
    Poor baby
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:40 AM on May. 13, 2013

• my cat was gone for a whole year. we had just moved out to the country and while I was at work she had an accident and my dh threw her outside she never been outside freaked and I wasnt told till I got home 9 that evening. she is a very shy cat and wouldnt come to me. for a whole month I cryed thinking she was dead then we started seeing her just like she was saying she was ok but she would never come to me . a year later while out smoking I heard her meowing I kicked my dh inside got some cat food and sat down and just talked to her half an hour latter she finally came up and started eating! for 3 months that cat would not leave the house we were glued to each other that was 2 years ago and she is now a in door out door cat :-)
    sexymomma_88

Answer by sexymomma_88 at 12:15 PM on May. 13, 2013

• I am happy to hear she is back home.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:30 AM on May. 13, 2013

• glad she was found safe
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:16 AM on May. 13, 2013

• How scary! I'm so glad you got the dog bak. I would have been beside myself.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:26 PM on May. 13, 2013

• Glad she is home safe and sound, and not skunked or anything!
    You should put her on Dogshaming!

We call our Sydney "Flight Risk". If she can get her nose out the door she is GONE! And we live on a very busy street. Our neighbor had 2 dogs hit and killed right outside.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:07 PM on May. 13, 2013

• I'm happy you got your baby back! That is a sickening feeling when that happens and panicking about where they could be. I'm happy things turned out well in the end.

I had this happen to me. We had company over and someone let my old, deaf dog out (even though I had told everyone not to let the dogs out and I put signs on every door warning people again). I didn't realize he was gone until a little later and went crazy. Needless to say I went ballistic about someone doing that. I spent all night searching and crying and finally someone jogging the next morning said they heard screaming when I asked her if she had seen a dog. I found him and he was soaking wet and scared to death. The only reason I found him was because he started screaming. I still get nauseous thinking about that.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 1:11 PM on May. 13, 2013