Dandruff

I technically have dry to normal skin, well mostly dry (face and body), and had mild dandruff which would come and go. But these past 6-8 months it's getting worse. I have tried countless home remedies and ofcourse over the counter medicines and anti-dandruff shampoos. You guys think it might be an infection or something. I have never had to go to the dermatologist before so I don't have one. I'll have to find one in this area. So before getting into the hassle of finding me a dermatologist and checking my insurance if it covers that, please do tell me if they deal with dandruff cases? Or atleast tell me what's making it worse and how to fix it with some prescribed ointment.
Or should I just go to my GP instead?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on May. 13, 2013 in Health

• Honestly, I would go to my GP first. If it is beyond his scope, he would probably recommend a specialist.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 11:38 AM on May. 13, 2013

• A lot of family practice doctors can handle basic issues like eczema and dandruff without referring you to a dermatologist.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:50 AM on May. 13, 2013

• Me personally my life long dandruff that I wasn't able to get rid of turned out to be Psoriasis.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:12 PM on May. 13, 2013

• You could also try eating a bit of coconut oil or take a fish oil supplement and see if it helps working from the inside out
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 8:17 PM on May. 13, 2013

• Head & shoulders has the medication in it made to treat the cause of dandruff. I usually only get dandruff from having dirty hair but after a couple of washes with Head & shoulders, it's usually gone. The generic version is the same. Don't overclean your hair or it will increase the dryness. Never use hot water and always follow with a cool rinse. It sounds like you have dry-prone skin in general, so you should use a humidifier frequently and drink plenty of water. Use non- or low-fragrance lotions regularly. You can even massage some into your scalp or use leave in conditioner. Use low to medium heat to dry your hair and dry it only 80% dry. You need to regularly slough off the dead skin so that it doesn't build up. Gently scratch your scalp while washing and use scrubs on the face weekly followed by lotion or rosehip oil. Take multivitamins daily.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 2:04 AM on May. 14, 2013