Daycare & babysitting differences.....

I know for daycaring you need a license, etc. & for babysitting you don't. Does it depend on how many kids you're willing to watch.. or how much money you want to make? Could someone get in trouble for babysitting 2 or 3 kids a day without a license? Just thinking about starting a daycare/babysitting side job.

anestheticsex

Asked by anestheticsex at 1:46 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Money & Work

• I believe it is based on state law. There are different ratios of kids to adults and how many hours in your care constitutes daycare vs. babysitting. Example: http://daycare.com/california/
    Trixiebelle2

Answer by Trixiebelle2 at 4:15 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• it all depends on where you live and the laws here we are allowed up to 3 unrelated children with out a license.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 1:48 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• i have been wondering this too. i watch two kids (including mine) M-F and three kids one day of the week
    CassCass

Answer by CassCass at 2:07 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Where I am we can only watch other kids up to 10 hours per week or you have to have a license. I'm not sure if that is just because we are on a military base or not though. BUt if you get licensed (it doesn't take too much), you can claim TONS of tax deductions.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:23 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I don't know how the laws are in your state but here if your babysitting for more than 1 family you need a license. (Minnesota) So even if there are 4 kids in one family you could babysit them all without but if you had 1 kid from one family and 1 from another you need a license and you could just go try to get one or look into it.
    Lizzie32390

Answer by Lizzie32390 at 4:36 PM on Feb. 17, 2009