My son is struggling in kindergarten, is this normal?

My son loves school. But doesnt want to participate in any class activities. I get notes every week, that he wont play or be active in P.E. and also I get letters from his class teacher that she struggles with him. He is in speech class, and plays with his hands. He says that his hands are his only friends that understand him. I dont know what to do, and the school makes him out as a "problem child". Does anybody have any suggestions? I am willing to try new things, and get help for him if needed, but the school says there is nothing they can offer.
I ask him why he doesnt play with other kids in P.E. or the activities at school, and his responds is that noone likes him and they dont want to be his friend. This is disturbing to me, he is six years old, kindergarten, and he is struggling. It almost makes me want to change schools, or get him tested for mental issues. I just cry to think that something is wrong. HELP!!

natrgrl34431

Asked by natrgrl34431 at 1:49 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my son is also struggling but more academic then anything we have a meeting to take to the behavioral specialist at his school very soon, don't take that shit that there is nothing the school can do bullshit they are just being lazy put your foot down momma and demand some guidance if it is a public school by law they have to find help for your child/every child. you could always go to the school district and complain. good luck.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 1:54 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• You know my son is in 2nd grade now and he too had these issues at school I was heart broken when they told me he was not meeting Kindergartedn expectations it made me mad c'mon they are only kindergartner's at the time he was stuttering, very fidgety, could not sit still. I didn't want to but I had to take him to one of those doctor's that diagnose him for any mental problems anyway she put him on some medication I did not like it but something had to be done so far so good. So my advice to you is get him checked out and always tell him he is a smart boy talk positive to him, even though we want to do more for them but they are individuals. You guys will be fine.

Anonymous

• My daughter who is also 6yrs old and in kindergarten. Well last year she was also in Kindergarten, they said she was not meeting the expectations to move onto 1st grade. They suggested that my husband and I hold her back in kindergarten another year. She started Kindergarten Sept 07' when she just turned 5yrs old. Her teacher said that she just thought that she was not mature enough-She was in class with 6-7yr olds. So my husband and I did end up holding her back, and she is repeating Kindergarten this year. She is doing better. Also is going to another school-because her school last yr was closeing some grades(her and my sister both went there, so my sisters grade got taken away and we just switched both of them).She seems to like this school better, and doesn't argue about going to school. Now we are working on her sight words for school she knows over 1/2, so she is a lil behind but not nearly as bad as last year.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 5:31 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Unfortunately in many states the kindergarten curriculum is now so difficult! The children are learning what used to be 1st grade skills. Kids used to have play time in Kindergarten and now sadly they do not. It is just all academics. The teachers used to teach socialization skills, but now do not have time too. It sounds as if your son may have some social skills delays and needs to have some help getting into the group. I would have a meeting with the teacher and discuss how the staff can help him get included. Sometimes when kids do not include themselves, the teacher needs to step in. Also, about the playing with his hands. See if the teacher would allow him to have a small object too hold while sitting that he can "fidget" with. Something small and squeezable. The rule is that he keeps it down low and is quiet with it. Iif he is inappropriate with it, the teacher will take it away. Sometimes this helps!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 3:53 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• It seems like the people at your school is not very interested in helping your child. In this situation parents have to demand for help, and at the same time look for other schl alternatives, if you can, talk to a psychologist, but don't let your child down. Some times, when children are marginated for any reason, they react isolating themselves which makes the situation worst, and they start believing that wathever others say about them is truth. My son is 5.5 yrs old and is in kdrgt too in a privte schl and he is having academical issues, the teacher told us that he is at risk for retention, but according to her report there are some things that I don't think are completely true, so I got an evaluation from another teacher ( different schl) and found out tha he is being on target. Now I have to talk to his teacher and see if she is willing to re-evaluate; and at the same time I am looking for different school
    fairymom526

Answer by fairymom526 at 10:13 AM on Feb. 18, 2009