Visitation

My DD is 14 and she has to go to her dads every weekend. She hates going but I told her she has no choice until she is 18 and thats the way it is going to be. I don't think children should have a choice to go on visits I think when they are 18 then they can choose...opinions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on May. 13, 2013 in General Parenting

• I think they should have the choice, you never know when the reason they don't want to go may be caused by something serious such as sexual abuse going on at the other home.

I don't believe they should be forced to go.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:24 PM on May. 13, 2013

• Actually that's not quite correct. If your child is afraid to go, he or she does have the right to refuse to go. My daughter went to an attorney when she was 13 because she was afraid of the fighting and drinking that went on at her dads. That and he smelled of alcohol when he picked her up. The attorney said to just say No, I don't feel comfortable. He also sent a letter to her dad for me.
    Anonymous

• Actually kids start to have a say in custody issue around age 12. And, once she starts driving and can get herself places she won't just hang out at her dad's if she hates it there. You'd be better off exploring why she hates it and working thru it than just giving her ultimatums. A teen aged will always find away around those!
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 12:30 PM on May. 13, 2013

• If she had a good reason like her dad being abusive I would totally be supportive but she just doesn't want to go because she wants to see her friends and I told her she isn't going to run the show she is 14 her dad and I will be making the decisions. 

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:42 PM on May. 13, 2013

• She does have a choice.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:53 PM on May. 13, 2013

• no judges consider it doesn't mean they actually grant it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:56 PM on May. 13, 2013

• I think every weekend is a little much for somewhere she doesn't want to go. Teens want to spend time with their friends and they should - that's normal and healthy.

Answer by missanc at 12:57 PM on May. 13, 2013

• If there is no good reason then she SHOULD go, but she does have the option at this point.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 12:58 PM on May. 13, 2013

• Oh. It's you again......

Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 1:15 PM on May. 13, 2013

• Please remember she may be saying this to you cause she thinks it's what you want to hear and also teenagers hate everything...
    pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 1:19 PM on May. 13, 2013