Tricks please

I need some to make my boy eat certain foods. the one that works most often is when he tries to finish meals ahead of his younger brother. he is 4 and his younger brother is 2.
also how to teach him an 'award system'.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on May. 13, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I don't really have any tricks. If my son (5) doesn't eat at least a few bites of everything on his plate then he doesn't get to get down from the table or have dessert/treat etc.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:49 PM on May. 13, 2013

• Pretend they are animals, what ever you are feeding them then they are that animal for instance salad, your a bunny. Or spaghetti is dog food and so on let them eat with their fingers or even put their face in the bowl lol. I had so much fun with my daughter when she was little using this trick 4 years later and she still eats spinach raw like a bunny. As far as rewards I think the line is blurred with that of bribes do what work charts, treats, T.V. or outings.
    pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 1:11 PM on May. 13, 2013

• I love pinkparcel's suggestions.
    I do not like rewarding kids for eating because it sets unhealthy eating habits and this could lead to eating disorders later on. I also don't reward good behavior with food because it's my child, not my dog.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:26 PM on May. 13, 2013

• I'm not into tricks. My five-year-old either eats what I make--although I do know certain foods she really dislikes and avoid serving those too often--or she doesn't get dessert. If she's hungry later on, she can either eat the dinner she turned up her nose at or she can have a graham cracker at bedtime, and that's it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:08 PM on May. 13, 2013