TTC Ovulation tests, how exactly do they work?

Hi ladies, my fiance and i have been TTC #2 for what will be 2 years in august.

Our DD took nearly 2 years to become pregnant with her, :(. We are 24 & 25 years old and pretty healthy people!

I have tracked my periods and when i *should* be ovulating, had sex on those days and nothing works.

I'm about ready to get an ovulation kit. I just am not sure exactly how they work.

Do they literally tell me flat out when i am ovulating? or is it when i *SHOULD* be ovulating??

When do i know when to stop taking them if i buy th 20 count?

On ClearBlue's website it tells me to start testing on the 6th day of my cycle... when do i know when to stop testing? or do i just use all 20??

anything to help me get pregnant, i need... its so depressing and im beginning to feel as if we will forever have one child only :(

thx

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:00 PM on May. 13, 2013 in Trying to Conceive

• When's the Wedding?
    Anonymous

• What has your doctor said? Do you have 2 healthy, functioning ovaries?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:03 PM on May. 13, 2013

• Anonymous, we've been together for almost 7 years. Our wedding date isnt set exactly yet, sometime next year.

WHY? and what does that have to do with my question? At least don't hide. jeeze.

PartyGalAnne, my doctor has never said anything about them. I asked about conceiving when i got my Mirena IUD out 2 years ago and he didnt give me much information. He's a pretty pompous jerk, hence why I am not going to him anymore.

I really just need a breakdown of how the ovulation kit works? Is it made to work based on the person using the test or is it a generic test that doesnt fit all women?

Thanks.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 2:08 PM on May. 13, 2013

• So you are TTC and not under the care of any doctor?
    I'd make an appointment before wasting my money on all kinds of OTC crap that may or may not work if there are some unknown underlying issues.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:43 PM on May. 13, 2013

• I had told my dr when i got my IUD out that i was planning on TTC which was WHY i got my IUD out. He said i should be fine to do so.

Didn't know it would take 2 years.

Now, my question was more on "How the ovulation tests work, not your opinion on if i should try to get pregnant or WHEN my wedding date is."

As far as i knew before, i was fine to TTC.

I am now at the point where yes, i wil begin having tests and what not but a pretty easy start is ovulation kit. I just am not entirely positive on how they exactly function or detect the ovulation.

MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 2:47 PM on May. 13, 2013

• You could have used Google for that.

http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/ovulation-test-work.html

PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:04 PM on May. 13, 2013

• PartyGalAnne, you know, i did, and i didnt exactly find what i was looking for.

But then again, ANY person on here could use Google for, probably anything they ask!

So why make this site again? Ahh yes, to ask OTHER mothers. That have experience.

Anyone could easily, go to the doctor, google, do this or that, but others come here to ask other mothers that have been in the same situation. I think thats why most of us do come here.

MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 3:06 PM on May. 13, 2013

• rolling on floor

PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:35 PM on May. 13, 2013

• Anonymous

• The ovulation tests give you window of when you should ovulate based on the LH surge. You start testing on day six of your cycle and stop when you get a positive indicator. In theory you will ovulate within 24hours of a positive result. So have sex when you get the positive on the test.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:38 PM on May. 13, 2013