• In the Spotlight:

Off duty cop has to shoot a angry dad after a wipeout...

CHICAGO — An off-duty Chicago Police officer whose motorcycle struck a 4-year-old girl in Maywood shot and killed the girl's father after the father and another man attacked the officer after the accident, officials said.

The officer — a 43-year-old, eight-year veteran of the force — was headed home about Saturday evening when the incident began, Fraternal Order of Police Spokesman Pat Camden said. He was riding north on First Avenue in Maywood near Madison Street when he saw a girl dart into the street. To avoid striking the girl, the officer purposely ditched his motorcycle, putting it down on its side on the pavement, according to a statement from Maywood village spokesman Larry Shapiro.

But it skidded and flipped, striking the girl as well as her 18-year-old cousin, John Passley, who had run into the street to help her. When the officer tried to help the girl, her father, Christopher Middleton, 26, came out of a nearby restaurant and approached the officer angrily, shouting, according to authorities.

The officer told Middleton he was a police officer, but Middleton struck the officer in the face, knocked him to the ground and continued to hit him, according to Shapiro.

Passley joined in and kicked the officer, Shapiro said. The officer then drew his gun and shot Middleton once.

"He was about to lose consciousness to people beating him," said Camden, defending the actions of the officer, who works in a West Side police district. "He fired in defense of his life."

Middleton was pronounced dead at 10:14 p.m. at Loyola University Medical Center.

Middleton's sister, Tina Middleton, said her brother lived in Elgin with the mother of his daughter and was visiting relatives in Maywood, where he grew up. "He was a good person," she said. "I know for sure he wasn't out to harm the man. My brother would never harm anybody. I could understand him [the officer] being upset, but two wrongs don't make a right."

Middleton was due to be married Aug. 18, his sister said. Besides his daughter who was injured, Middleton also had a 6-year-old son and an unborn child, his sister said.

Middleton's daughter suffered contusions and abrasions and was hospitalized overnight for observation.

The officer is expected to recover from his injuries but was left with contusions to his head and body from the attack and a possible broken leg and broken shoulder from the crash, Camden said.

Passley was being held by Maywood police for questioning, Shapiro said.

The Independent Police Review Authority — which examines all Chicago Police shootings — is investigating the incident, said IPRA spokesman Larry Merritt.

The title of this article is misleading; the off duty cop DEFENDED HIMSELF after being attacked
by multiple offenders following a TRAFFIC ACCIDENT after he identifies himself as an LEO.
Personally, it sounded as if the girl was in the care of the 18 year old, or the 18 year old was involved in watching the kid… I would have beat the puke out of that SOB for letting a small child bolt out into traffic! But that’s just me…
But my question is why was there a child so young in the street (and apparently without a responsible adult nearby to protect them) at such a late hour? Also, I would have been much more concerned about getting medical care for my child than to go about jumping on the motorist who had struck my child, stopped and was trying to help.

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 5:59 PM on May. 13, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I would have been much more concerned about getting medical care for my child than to go about jumping on the motorist who had struck my child, stopped and was trying to help.

^^^That's what I was thinking too! And you don't behave like that in front of small children for Heaven's sake! What a horrible tragedy in many ways.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:07 PM on May. 13, 2013

• The whole article is just sad in so many different ways.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 6:10 PM on May. 13, 2013

• He and another guy were beating a cop to near unconsciousness ... but "my brother wouldn't harm anybody." Really?

And where was the poor kiddo while all this fighting was going on? Standing by, bleeding, waiting for her dad to act like a grown-up and help her?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:27 PM on May. 13, 2013

• When did this happen? I'm trying to find the article in the Chicago papers and I'm not having any luck
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:35 PM on May. 13, 2013

• Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 6:54 PM on May. 13, 2013

• We bearly hit a woman leaving a bar one night ( icy roads abd our truck skidded) DH did some fancy steering but we all saw her go down
    Her husband came around to the passenger side and pulled me out of the vehicle. DH and him got in a fistfight
    I was yelling the whole time wheres your wife is she ok?!
    Other bar patrons had to pull him off DH and get him to focus on his wifes health
    He was an angry fellow and the whole town knew it
    She eventually left him because he would look for any reason to fight

Some people really are just wastes of space
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:24 PM on May. 13, 2013

• Ugh. Nearly not bearly
    Fracking cell phone typos
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:25 PM on May. 13, 2013

• There is always someone who says "he would never do this", when it is obvious that he most certainly would and did.

I am sorry for those left behind but this child in the street at that hour is neglect plain and simple and the officer had every right to shoot to kill in defending his own life.
    I hope the cousin has the book thrown at him.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:00 AM on May. 14, 2013

• there is no good guy and no "right" in this case...its very ugly and sad.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:33 AM on May. 14, 2013

• a cop doesn't know how to shoot someone with non-lethal force?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:26 AM on May. 18, 2013