What would you say to this asst. principal?

There have been many times this year that a sub could not be found & my child's 5th grade class had to combine w/ a 2nd grade class. It's pretty much a wasted day, with little more than busy work thrown at them. It happened again today & I was able to ask the asst. principal who was outside after school & wondered why administration didn't step in to run the class or if other teachers could give up their planning times to help run the class. He said, "well we are also dealing with kids who are abused & CPS". Basically dismissing my concerns. I realize they have other responsibilities, but I highly doubt the entire day of the principal & the asst. principal are spent doing what he said. What do you think? (BTW- I'm thinking of contacting the board tomorrow-again)

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 6:03 PM on May. 13, 2013 in

• I wouldn't like a class of those combined ages. They're too far apart in their needs for one teacher to do anything that would be meaningful to both groups. I also think it's highly unlikely that the school couldn't find a sub. I'd be asking questions if it has happened more than once, for an unavoidable emergency that came up very fast, like one of the teacher's parents having a sudden heart attack or something.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:21 PM on May. 13, 2013

• First of all, I have a problem with the validity of them not finding a sub. There are out of work teachers everywhere! Sounds to me like the district does not want to pay a sub.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 6:06 PM on May. 13, 2013

• I agree with Nimue, I can't imagine them not being able to FIND a sub. And why a 2nd grade class? Why not another 5th grade class if they have to be thrown in with anyone? This whole situation is crap if you ask me.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 6:08 PM on May. 13, 2013

• Having dealt with administration, and trying to schedule meetings, I do believe that a LARGE part of their days are filled. However, this sounds like piss poor planning on their part.

If you've talked with the administration previously, and they've mad zero changes, then I would probably skip them altogether and contact the Board of Education directly, or some other higher up in the district.

Other than that, I really don't know what else to suggest you try.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:19 PM on May. 13, 2013

• The 2nd graders eat lunch at the same time as the 5th grade- that's why they picked that teacher. I think it's crap too & I will be calling the board again tomorrow.

mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 6:12 PM on May. 13, 2013

• Why don't you take the necessary classes and sub yourself?
    Believe it or not the principal and others working in the school are actually working all day long. The teachers on their one hour or so off are working, grading papers, setting up for the next class and actually getting to go to the bathroom.
    I wonder if you have worked outside the home if you would work where you do not get your lunch off or your 15 minute breaks.
    I am sorry there is a shortage of subs in your district. Some teachers basically give busy work for the kids when they are off. I am pretty sure the second grade teacher is not thrilled to have that many kids with her but I think you definitely ought to get her something as a thankyou.
    Yes go to the board and see what solutions they can come up with, but if there is no one willing to do the job, what are you going to do?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:42 AM on May. 14, 2013