Dyslexia

My daughter has dyslexia. She is in the third grade and I home school her. My question is......will she ever be able to read at a normal level? Right now she is at a second grade reading level. Will I have to get outside help? Is anyone else in this same situation? If so.....what did you do? Should I be concerned?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Health

• Yes-you should have her assessed by someone. Do you have a sylvians or some sort of learning center near you?
    Anonymous

• If you feel her needs are such that you can't meet them, then its great to have outside help. Most homeschooling moms have resources. Homeschooling doesn't mean that you do all the work yourself, it just means you take responsibility for everything. I would not hesistate to get some help if you think she has potential to do better but youre not sure how to help her specific circumstances. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:16 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Your homeschool support group should have a list of resources for you to get help for your daughter. She does need to be assessed and may need an instructor to help her a bit. Perhaps you would be fortunate enough to find a licensed instructor within your group of homeschooling parents, or an instructor who can come to your home and work with your child as well as teach you how to teach her.
    My husband has dyslexia and he did not receive help for it. He has great difficulty with certain things, even though he has a brilliant brain. I read over his college papers for him to fix grammatical and spelling errors. I also work with him in getting his ideas out on paper so he is understood.
    Best wishes to you and your daughter. {{HUGS}}
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:28 AM on Feb. 18, 2009