How do I even begin potty training??

I don't know where to start!! How do I introduce the potty?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put the kid up on the potty.

When my son was 1 I just started letting him sit on the big boy potty, with one of those seats over it, and talking to him about pottying. I let him sit up there while I took a shower or did my hair or whatever. By 18 months he got it and by 2 he was fully potty trained. We also let him watch us potty. It worked for us.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 2:00 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I started putting my daughter on the potty when she turned one, at first only when she would wake up from naps. She would hold while she slept, so if I could get her there straigt away, she usually would go...
    Cheryn

Answer by Cheryn at 2:09 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Recognize the signs of needing to go potty, like straining. I tell me daughter to hold it and rush her to the potty, where she then goes. Then, she gets to flush and say bye-bye to the poopy (lol). I give her a sticker when she goes potty and tell her that she's a big girl and a good girl. She is only 16 months old and can't control her pee very well, so it's hit or miss with the peeing right now. I just keep trying to reinforce how good it is when she goes, and I"m hoping that when she is physically able to control her bladder that she'll be willing to use the potty all the time.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 2:15 PM on Feb. 17, 2009