How often do you bathe your dog? How often is recommended?

SS just got a dog and he bathes it 3 to 4 times per week. I think it's too often.

Asked by PandaGwen at 8:05 PM on May. 13, 2013 in Pets

• Depends on how the dogs skin and coat are reacting and what kind of dog. With the shampoos today, it isn't as harsh as it used to be. As a groomer, I do agree that 3-4 times is excessive unless there is a specific reason for it such as allergies or something.

Answer by Fairierose81 at 8:08 PM on May. 13, 2013

• OMgosh, he must have a small dog. My Cockerspaniel is about 40 lbs. He's too difficult to bathe. I try to do once a month...

Answer by m-avi at 8:11 PM on May. 13, 2013

• This dog is gigantic. He's about 80lbs. He's a Rhodesian ridgeback. No allergies. He's obsessed with bathing it. Lol. Ive tried telling him once a week should be sufficient, but he's hard headed.

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 8:15 PM on May. 13, 2013

• I think it depends on the dog, but I read somewhere that every 6 months is best but I would think that often would be bad for the skin

Answer by cassie_kellison at 8:25 PM on May. 13, 2013

• If mine could handle it, I'd bathe heretics a week. I do just once a week to ten days between. She's only 5 lbs and spends most of her time inside yet.

Answer by idareyou at 8:33 PM on May. 13, 2013

• Depends on the dog. I use to bath my Chihuahua's once a week in the summer. Once a month in the winter.

Answer by louise2 at 8:37 PM on May. 13, 2013

• Dogs need baths only about once a month in winter and a couple times a month in the summer. There are obvious exceptions if the dog gets into something. Washing too often will remove oil that they need for healthy skin and hair. A dog should not stink. If they smell funny, they need a bath...... Tell your SS that he doesn't want to agitate him by over washing him, he is not a "doll" to play with... How old is your SS ??

tell him to bathe only when needed an remind him it is a dog,  not a child......  

Answer by LeJane at 10:56 PM on May. 13, 2013

• SS is 26

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 11:05 PM on May. 13, 2013

• I agree that it depends on the dog. Our dog gets bathed whenever she needs it, which varies. She stays indoors, unless we're out with her, and so she doesn't get into too much to need it very often. As long as she looks/smells clean I let her be.

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:08 AM on May. 14, 2013

• That is too often. Once every six weeks is the standard.
    Depending on the breed and the shampoo it can be done as often as every week.

Answer by Dardenella at 1:26 AM on May. 14, 2013