What's the rule on tipping cab drivers?

The ride itself cost $20! What SHOULD I have tipped.

(I'll say what I really tipped after I get some answers..

ETA: Yeah, it's a little late for the info now but at least I'll know for next time.

I actually did pay him a $3 tip so I guess I did okay.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 PM on May. 13, 2013 in Travel

• At least 15%. So around $23.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:02 PM on May. 13, 2013

• I have only taken a cab ride maybe 4 times, I tip like $3
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:10 PM on May. 13, 2013

• I really don't understand how everyone expects a tip. Unless he did something that was not required of him I wouldn't be tipping him....but that is me. I also don't automatically tip baristas either.

I worked in the service industry for a long time so it's not that I don't understand and I am a great tipper when I believe they deserve it.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:17 PM on May. 13, 2013

• tntmom I really don't get the "everyone expects a tip" thing either (he did get paid for the service after all), but I didn't want to appear to be a cheapskate, so I tip when I believe I'm supposed to.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:27 PM on May. 13, 2013

• I don't get tipping everyone either. I tip based  off of performance. They did their job good. $3 to $5.  One thing I found out is in Italy you do not tip.  We were told that by a waiter that spoke good english.

Answer by louise2 at 9:44 PM on May. 13, 2013

• I also don't understand tipping for a lot of things. A waiters job is to take my order and bring it to me. They get paid to do that. I think it's stupid that some states pay servers less than minimum wage because of tips. However, like you I tip when I think I'm supposed to. I think $3 is sufficient for a $20 cab ride.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:46 AM on May. 14, 2013

• A dollar for every $10 increment. If they help with baggage or it's a long ride, tip a few more dollars extra on top of the increment rule.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 1:00 AM on May. 14, 2013

• I do not get the tipping everyone either. A person gets paid to do a job and they do it. They get paid a salary.
    I am considered a generous tipper by my regular waiters and waitresses. I only know this because when I return I can see that they remember us and do the little extras that make dining out the pleasure it is supposed to be.
    I do tip in a hotel if my room s very clean and everything is n order. One hotel I stayed one night in, I had to call down for four different things and it was not as clean as I felt it should be. The manager came up on the last call and told me that I could not expect the room to be better since I did not tip. We are talking missing lightbulbs, a mess in the bathtub, no tissue, no refrigerator (standard in the room and we made sure it was to be in there as DH needs insulin) Remember this is our first night in this rom.
    We made sure he remembered that little fact and told him she would
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:15 AM on May. 14, 2013

• get one that night either. He was furious. You can believe I reported it to the home office. I use to work for a hotel when I was first married. I got a free stay. But that was not the point, and I told them that.
    TIPS means TO INSURE PROPER SERVICE
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:17 AM on May. 14, 2013

• 5.00
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 10:37 PM on Jul. 15, 2013