How can I help my daughter realize that demanding, yelling, and acting aggressively is not the right way to go about thing.s

My daughter is 3 1/2 and she is constantly yelling back at my, she will just start crying and go into angry rages. She is sometimes impulsive and unpredictable with her outbursts.

kimerz1122

Asked by kimerz1122 at 9:45 PM on May. 13, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Ignore that behavior. Totally pretend you aren't even noticing her until she stops.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:45 PM on May. 13, 2013

• Stop giving in to it.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:46 PM on May. 13, 2013

• We don't give in to it typically and I have tried ignoring. We have tried time out, taking things away, and earlier bedtimes.
    kimerz1122

Comment by kimerz1122 (original poster) at 9:50 PM on May. 13, 2013

• I would also like to know the answer to this!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:50 PM on May. 13, 2013

• Everytime she does it put her in the corner & tell her you will not put up with that behavior
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:50 PM on May. 13, 2013

• i dont respond to my dd when she went threw that
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 9:50 PM on May. 13, 2013

• First, any time she demands something. Do not give her what she wants. The raging fits. Tell her to do that in her room. And not come out tell she stops. Anytime she act thjat way. After she calms down she has to say "I am sorry for acting like a spoiled brat".

Answer by louise2 at 9:51 PM on May. 13, 2013

• We don't give in to it typically

Typically...meaning you give in to it...eventually....which means your kid is eventually getting what she wants and doing it with negative behavior.....which means...You're giving in.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:53 PM on May. 13, 2013

• It is a phase. Try saying calmly to her, with a gentle smile on your face, that you would be happy to listen to her once she calms down and speaks to you in her indoor voice. She is testing her boundaries, finding out about influencing her surroundings, and learning about how to deal with others. Ignoring is a good way, along with praise for acceptable behavior and extra hugs and attention for acceptable behavior, but acknowledging that she is upset will help. Here is an example. My 3 year old granddaughter was throwing a tantrum and screaming, and my son and DIL put her in her bedroom until she settled down. She continued to shriek. With an OK from her mom, I went into the room and sat quietly on the bed. She screamed at me, and I calmly nodded and said yes I would be upset, too. It was amazing that she immediately stopped and went on to something else. I'm not saying that this would work all of the time, but it helped.

Answer by Bmat at 9:53 PM on May. 13, 2013

• Ignore. Rewards for GOOD behavior only.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 9:56 PM on May. 13, 2013