Stupid smoke alarm!! (vent)

I have been living here for 10 months. My smoke alarm has gone off 6 times. It is so annoying. all 6 times it they have gone off i was sleeping. I have told someone about it. He said it is prob. the battery. I doubt it. When the battery is low they beep. Not once have they beeped. So tonight of course was on the of the nights they went off. They went off 3 times tonight. I know its not safe to take the batteries out but im getting so sick of getting woke up because of them. The second time they went off i took the battery out of two. thinking ok they wont go off again. NOT! they ended up going off again. How the hell do the smoke alarms go off when i took the battery out? ahh i just want to sleep!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on May. 14, 2013 in Technology

• I was going to ask the same question as tntmom, is it just a smoke alarm or is there also a carbon monoxide alarm.

Please Please Please do not unplug them. My sisters kept going off every time they made dinner so she took them all down. My sister, my nephews and my cousin all passed away in a house fire because the alarms were taken down.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:00 AM on May. 14, 2013

• A low battery can cause the alarm to be more sensitive. We had the same problem, but it stopped when we replaced the battery. Some homes are set up to allow for dual sources of energy to power them, meaning they can be hardwired into the electrical systems as well as work on a battery as a backup. Alarms can be sensitive to steam. Ionization alarms are more sensitive to particles. You can replace it with a photoelectric alarm which only detects large particles and is less sensitive. Get a air purifier to reduce dust in the air as well and keep the alarm dust-free. You have to remove the unit from the wall without cutting wires to silence some alarms but I don't recommend it. Just reset it.

hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 12:45 AM on May. 14, 2013

• hellokittykat

• Make them change it. Also is it JUST a smoke alarm or is it also a Carbon monoxide alarm?? Mine was both and kept going off, the gas company had to come and check out the entire place(While we had to wait outside)..turned out to be a faulty alarm(we had been there nearly 2 yrs with same alarm just finally decided to quite) most places use cheap alarms that malfunction and give out easy(the gas man explained that to me).

If it is just a smoke alarm, have the replace the battery and then if it still doesn't solve the problem have them replace the whole thing. Don't stop calling everyday until they come and fix it, it's highly illegal for them to not come out almost right away(within the day).

If it is CO2 as well you need to possibly call the gas company(if you have anything ran by gas that is).
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:38 AM on May. 14, 2013

• Have you tried replacing the batteries?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:46 AM on May. 14, 2013

• I have told someone about it. they told me they were going to change the batteries and havent. Im not allowed to change the batteries.. Its amazing how they keep going off at the worst times. never in the day time. ALWAYS when im sleeping
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:49 AM on May. 14, 2013

• its just the smoke alarm bc its yelling fire fire. If it was carbon monoxide it would yell carbon monoxide. There are 5 smoke alarms going off. im started to get pissed. I can call and call and call they wont change it until all the other work orders that were called in 1st are done.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:23 AM on May. 14, 2013

• Sounds to me like these are hardwired alarms? Not just the battery operated ones that you can stick anywhere.
    Please don't take the batteries out. We just lost a family of 6 here to a fire.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:37 PM on May. 14, 2013