My 8 yr old still wets the bed and it is driving me insane! Do bed wetting alarms work?

Hi guys, I need some help. My son will be 8yrs old in June and he still wets the bed almost every night. He isn't lazy, he is just such a good sleeper that he doesn't wake up when he has to go. I cut off his liquid intake over an hour before his bed time and monitor the amount he drinks earlier in the evening. I make him go to the bathroom several times before bed, but I wake him up for school every morning to find that he has, yet again, wet the bed. I try not to get visibly upset, but it's getting to the point where it is driving me mildly insane.
I am a single mom, working full time and I have a hard time finding time to do laundry every day because of his wet sheets/blankets. Also, I live in an apartment and have to pay to do laundry and this is getting expensive!
I am thinking about taking him to the doctor to see if he has a medical condition, but I honestly think he does it only because he sleeps too hard to wake up when he has to go.
Does anybody have any suggestions?? I have also considered using one of those alarm things, has anybody tried one and do they work??

_whisper_

Asked by _whisper_ at 6:52 AM on May. 14, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Our bodies make two very important hormones when we sleep
    One decreases production of urine
    The other wakes us when our bladders are full
    If either of these hormones are off you have a bed wetter
    "Diapers" will save on the laundry bill
    The alarm may save on the laundry bill

Google nightine enuresis (sp)
    Its common. No worries
    I was 12 abd one kid is 11. You do know its genetic, right?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:11 PM on May. 14, 2013

• My son did the same. The alarm helped a little. It made it be just one time a night. We tried EVERYTHING. the only thing that helped was time. He was 14 when he finally stopped for good. Use Goodnights.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:02 AM on May. 14, 2013

• The alarm didn't do anything for my oldest. He wet the bed almost nightly until he was 11. Then after that it would be 4-5 times a week. He was also a really heavy sleeper. We cut off all liquids 6 pm, limited things like soup and ice cream. Nothing helped. Not even medications. He's 15 now and doesn't wet the bed anymore thankfully.

balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:51 AM on May. 14, 2013

• Most of the kids in our family (nieces and nephews too) were older when they finally stopped. It simply runs in our family. One of my nephews used a nasal spray that his pediatrician gave him. It helped a lot. You might want to look into that. Use the Goodnights too.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 9:01 AM on May. 14, 2013

• I didn't read all the answers, so this might have already been said, but have you discussed this with a doctor? I have a 12 year old step son who STILL wets the bed. The dr said it's because of poor diet (constipation) & small bladder. He actually wears pullups to bed and they're wet pretty much every morning.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 8:28 PM on May. 14, 2013

• Nothing works for me and my daughter is 11. Doctors say she is going to outgrow it and I was a late bedwetter. It drives me insane and I know if I make a big deal it's not going to do anything but hurt her. I swear she's going to be on her period and bed wetting one day. I was 14 when I stopped.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:13 AM on May. 14, 2013

• My dd was 15 when she finally stopped. I'd have him checked by a dr first to make sure there's nothing wrong. If there isn't he can give him some medication that can help. Something that I was reading about was if you change the "smell" of the room it can help. By now I'm sure you notice an odor coming from the room. It gets in the curtins, carpet, etc. Try washing/fabreezing everything. Paint the walls if you can. Air fresheners, etc.

There's also an herb you can buy that helps. I don't think the meds or the herbs helped 100% but they did make it less frequent.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:33 AM on May. 14, 2013

• Its best to be patient with him and know as Mothers we are challenged at all times.

I tried to limit liquids with my son but cannot. So it helps if I wake him up a couple times a night. He is 10 and I am told he will outgrow it but everyone outgrows it at a different age.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:28 PM on May. 14, 2013

• Limit liquids after six.
    Introduce him to cranberry juice.
    Set YOUR alarm and wake him up a couple times during the night and have him go to the bathroom.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:13 PM on May. 14, 2013

• Cranberry juice can make the problem worse.
    Anonymous