SIL

I have a sister-in-law who is kinda nasty. She always has the oiliest, nastiest looking hair and wears big, baggy clothes and you can usually see her butt and their house is awful! They have crap stuck in the carpet and trash on the floor and crumbs swept into the corners in the kitchen and laundry all over the floor upstairs. It's so bad that I have vowed never to let them watch my baby over at their house. They will clean up the downstairs when they have company over, but their kitchen still looks nasty. Should I say something to them or just leave it be? I am scared that they are going to ask to watch Evan when I REALLY need someone and I wont know what to say

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:01 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Relationships

• I would just say no thank you. I had a neighbor who was very nasty. She didn't care. Once when she was in the hospital and her children were quite young, her sister-in-law came to stay with the children. While she was there, she worked her tail off cleaning that place up. A week after she got home, it was just like it was before. Some people just choose to live that way. I could never have eaten a bite of food in that house. It was that bad. I've been there when you literally could not find a place to sit down because stuff was piled up everywhere on top of the filth. And she would call and invite me over, always because she needed me to do something for her.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:31 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• ask if she needs help cleaning?? mayb she will get the clue
    Lauren2008

Answer by Lauren2008 at 2:05 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Your sister-in-law......is this your brother's wife? Maybe you should talk to him?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:05 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• this is my husbands brothers wife
    CassCass

Answer by CassCass at 2:08 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I would just leave it alone untill it comes up. There is no reason to start a fight over now if you don't have to.
    Anonymous

• i guess maybe it would my husbands sil then, huh??
    CassCass

Answer by CassCass at 2:09 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Just say no on having them watch your baby at their house, don't start drama because it's not really your problem.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:11 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I would think maybe a "momma's day out" where you get your hair styled and some clothes shopping done would be a nice treat. Maybe she doesn't know any better. What is her family like?
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 2:11 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• i have never met her side of the family. her husband (my husbands family) are all boys. their mom takes care of herself. sometimes she can look sloppy, but just because she is relaxing around the house
    CassCass

Answer by CassCass at 2:21 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• How much do you actually know about her - other than her looks and her lack of cleanliness?

Maybe she would appreciate a little help - we all need it. Maybe not.

If she's part of your family, it would be nice to get to know her. But if her place isn't safe, always have another arrangement for your child - or have her come over to your house.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 2:25 PM on Feb. 17, 2009