AP phone records seized by gov't, and nobody seems all that upset about it?

Is the 1st amendment less important in cases like this, or are people just burned out on bad news? 

GOV'T OBTAINS WIDE AP PHONE RECORDS IN PROBE

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:05 AM on May. 14, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it is BS, but then again what I think doesn't really seem to matter.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 8:07 AM on May. 14, 2013

• I am absolutely appalled at the arrogance and lawlessness of the DOJ. I almost want to say it's unbelievable, but nothing this administration does really surprises me anymore.

I don't think a lot of people really think that deep about what this actually means and the ramifications of such actions.

I have to jog my memory and try to remember if they had passed any shoddy legislation granting them the powers to subvert these rights.  I know they sure as hell have tried.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:20 AM on May. 14, 2013

• serious curiosity, does this fall under the Patriot Act?

either way, the govt really needs to get its shit together, cause with all the stupid things that are getting exposed here lately...its really getting ugly. before you know it no one is going to trust these ppl anymore (if theres anyone left...)
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:29 AM on May. 14, 2013

• The government is not going to get their sh** together, no one will make them.  The main stream media won't stay on a topic long enough to put help put pressure on our government to get their sh** together.  The Amercian people are either ignorant or they just don't care about what has been and will be going on.  The government looks at us as stupid sheeple and they have the power to do what ever the crap they want and will continue to do so until the majority of Americans stand up and say they are not going to take it any more.  Unfortunately by that time the government could be too powerful to stand up against. We need to get rid of the whole Democrat vs Republican thing and stand together as AMERICANS. There is a saying a house divided can not stand and we are definitely divided.

marymargret

Answer by marymargret at 3:44 PM on May. 14, 2013

• "serious curiosity, does this fall under the Patriot Act?"okmanders
    HELL NO!! The PA is used for terroristic activities and anything at that even possibly be connected with terrorism. Its goals were to strengthen domestic security and broaden the powers of law-enforcement agencies with regards to identifying and stopping terrorists.
    What the Obama Admin and the DOJ did is a blatant violation of the 1st and 4th amendment.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:43 AM on May. 15, 2013

• I found a source from the Washington post that had a idea of what happened, and the thing is, is that the origin of this report was from the UK newspaper "The Guardian"  the original May 2012 AP story that the agency believes may have started it all (clicky)

.."US officials say the plot involved an “upgrade” of the underwear bomb that failed to detonate aboard a jetliner over Detroit on Christmas Day in 2009. This new bomb was also built to be used in a passenger’s underwear  an airplane, officials said. They said the device did not contain metal, meaning it probably could have passed through an....

cont...

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:50 AM on May. 15, 2013

• >airplane, officials said. They said the device did not contain metal, meaning it probably could have passed through an airport metal detector. But it was not clear whether new body scanners used in many airports would have detected it. The would-be suicide bomber, based in Yemen, had not yet picked a target or bought his plane tickets when the CIA stepped in and seized the bomb, officials said. It is not immediately clear what happened to the alleged bomber."
    Then the question that was asked was.."So why was this such a big deal that it would compel a federal investigation and lead Brennan to call it “unauthorized and dangerous”?
    "AP learned of the plot a week before publishing, but “agreed to White House and CIA requests not to publish it immediately” due to national security concerns.

CONT>
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:58 AM on May. 15, 2013

• ...." But, by reporting the CIA’s involvement in foiling the plot, they put AQAP on notice that the CIA had a window into their activities. The AP’s reporting also led to other stories involving an operative in place within AQAP,and details of the operations he was involved in. That operative, it was feared, would be exposed and targeted by AQAP as retribution for siding with the United States..."
    In other words, the AP’s prevailing theory seems to be that this investigation is aimed at identifying the source of a leak that may have compromised a CIA investigation into the Yemen-based group, al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula. That’s presently just a theory, though.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:25 AM on May. 15, 2013

• But I think this is an excuse the Obama Admin wanting to know who the other Whistleblowers are that will be coming forward soon. The other W.B already have been threatened that their careers will be over if they cooperate with congressional investigators. This is worse than the Watergate scandal, nobody died in that one.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:31 AM on May. 15, 2013

• serious curiosity, does this fall under the Patriot Act? ~ okmanders

I wouldn't be surprised if it were, nor would I be surprised if it were included in the expansion under this administration.  They are stating that the taps were because of a national security leak, which is probably covered under the PA (regardless of which administration it happened under).  The over reach of this lasting for such a long period of time and with so many lines is what is concerning.  Honestly though, I've been concerned for a long time about how over reaching government has been and is increasing as time goes on.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:19 AM on May. 15, 2013