When should you start getting mamograms (sp?)

My cousin is in her late 30's & just had a double masectomy. My grandma & great aunt had breast cancer, & my other Aunt just had a lumpectomy.... cancer runs in both sides of my fam.... I'm 31, should I be getting checked? Can your gyno do it or do you have to go somewhere else? And how often should you get it done? Yearly?

HappyEndings

Asked by HappyEndings at 9:42 AM on May. 14, 2013 in Health

• Depends if breast cancer runs in the family and depending on how old family members were when the cancer appeared. I think for your case I would start now since your cousin was in her 30s. I think they tell people to start at 40 but do regular breast exams. Mamos I think are a yearly thing.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:45 AM on May. 14, 2013

• I believe 40 unless you are at increased risk. I thought I had heard 35 before, but my insurance thing that came in the mail that tells me different intervals of procedures says every 1-2 years after you turn 40. Since you have increased risk due to genetics you should ask your GYN about that specifically. Your GYN will order a test where you have to go to a different office / facility where they can do the imaging. It's like an x-ray, many Dr.'s offices won't have those capabilities.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:45 AM on May. 14, 2013

• If you have a family history YES start getting them now. It's never too early. I think I had my first one at 33. I must say though, I didn't get another one until I was 48. I have nothing in my family history though.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:01 AM on May. 14, 2013

• i talked to my OBGYN about it last year and he told me to start at 30. i have family on both sides that had breast cancer so he was pretty adamant about me starting at 30. my dr has the machine at his office, but many dont. usually you set up an appointment at a separate place but insurance (usually) pays for it.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:18 AM on May. 14, 2013

• I got my 1st one when I was 23 bc they found a lump.
    tigger3itch

Answer by tigger3itch at 12:03 PM on May. 14, 2013

• Best bet is to ask your doctor and make sure he knows your history. I think in general it is 40 years of age but I have known a few that have had them in their late twenties because of family history.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:56 PM on May. 14, 2013

• personally, I don't believe it is wise to expose your breasts or any part of your body to repeated/yearly radiation with the expectation it won't increase your chance of developing breast cancer because of the radiation... I'm just sayin...
    Your best defense is to know your body. Learn how to do a proper breast exam.

But that's just my honest opinion
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 1:26 PM on May. 14, 2013

• Get one now. Even if there is no problem they can use it as a baseline for future Mamo's. Your OBGYN or regular Dr. can refer you to a place where they are done. Get one ASAP.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:29 PM on May. 14, 2013

• Depending on your family history. But I started at 40. When the military/Trycare allowed it.

Answer by louise2 at 1:46 PM on May. 14, 2013

• I think if you have a family history, you should start sooner. I don't have a history, but my OB/GYN sent me for my first mammogram when I was 35 to get a 'baseline'. Because it was clear, I don't have to go again until I am 40.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 6:41 PM on May. 15, 2013