Giving 10 Month Old Whole Milk

My son is 10 1/2 months old and I was wondering if it was a big deal to give him whole milk? He's had it for about 4 feedings and doesn't seem to be having any problems. Suggestions?

mambearwhitt4

Asked by mambearwhitt4 at 2:06 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think that docs usually say 12 months-but I would call and ask.
    Anonymous

• i would wait till he is 1 yrs old he need the formala right now
    Anonymous

• Ask your pedi not here, you will get different answers.
    Anonymous

• Oh and if you do get the OK for whole milk, go organic.
    Anonymous

• There are long-term health risks to giving milk before 12 months even when there are no immediate reactions. Why risk it?
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:09 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• i totally agree with riotgrrl.

the reactions can show now or later. its not good for their little stomach. its just too heavy. and thats why pediatricians recommend to wait until 12months.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 2:20 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• ive never heard of long term reactions if you give milk before 1 yr...i switched both of my daughters at 10 months and they're 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 now and theres nothing wrong with them. but i do agree with talking w your pedi.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:22 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Long term health risks is a bunch of crap. I was swtiched at 9 months and I am perfectly fine. I plan to swtich my dd around 10 months. If he isn't having any trouble then proceed, but JMO.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 2:31 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• If he is getting all of his nutrition from table foods, eating a balanced diet, then check with the pediatrician. But not unless he's getting nutrition from food.

Our pediatrician had us start milk at 9 months...the boys were on all table foods, balanced diet, varied diet. They didn't NEED the formula any longer.

But then, even at a year or older, I wouldn't start milk unless they were getting all their nutrition from food.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:54 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Nope i would think your fine! I know they say 12 months but think about these countries that dont have formula to give and back when our parents were babies they didnt have it either and they turned out good! The only i would check into is if your dr wants you to use whole or 2% because they are linking whole milk to obesity and it really doesnt have any more nutrients than 2% but fat. So dont listen to all the negative comments you are probably going to get, if he is fine on milk it is cheaper and we could all use more money in our pockets!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 2:56 PM on Feb. 17, 2009