This is making me so nervous...

Okay, my mother in law keeps my 7 month old during the day. And she has been eating baby food and table food mushed up for a couple of month now. At least that is the only thing i give her. Things that are very mushed up and have practically no limps. I am so worried about her choking. She has not teeth yet. Anyways today, they were keeping her at our house so i ran home for lunch and they were feeding her thinks like small pieces of the crust of a pizza. And to me the bites seemed way too big. I totally freaked out and said that i would prefer for not to have those things yet. I mean to me it would seem like bread would be very easy to choke one. Am i right or wrong. Please tell me. This is my first child.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Bread and peanut butter are two things that if you choke on, have no way of discldging themselves as peanut butter is not soluable and braed swells. My daughter only eats tablefood and has never eaten baby food. We did give her things before she got teeth (as she just got them at around 12 months) however, I NEVER gave her anything like bread. Start out with small pieces of cooked fruit and vegies that she can mash with ehr gums. NEVER bread or bread products (crackers, ect) if you are concerned with her choking. YOU are the mom and you decide what is best.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 2:15 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Well it doesn't matter if she has teeth or not... they don't get molar usually until they are around a year and most children are "chewing" before then. They don't use the front teeth to chew.

BUT the things she does have should be very small. I give my son (also 7 months) bread in very tiny pieces... maybe the size of a pea. I think at this age anyway things should be cheerio size and no bigger because they are just learning how to mash.

And as a side note... make sure you and her care givers are trained in infant CPR and choking
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:16 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Yes, you are the mom and you (and dad) should say what she can have/not have.

Teeth don't matter. If my toothless old grandmother could eat it, my boys did, too.

Right or wrong? Not for me to say. But my boys were eating very similar things at that age....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:34 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• My son loves pizza crust since he was 5 months old he sucks on it
    Lauren2008

Answer by Lauren2008 at 2:34 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I was always extremly paranoid that my son was going to choke. He's 2 1/2 now and we just recently started letting him have popcorn for that same reason. Noone should feed your child anything you are not comfortable with, no matter what the reason. Iv'e had people tell me he should be able to eat certain things but a mother knows best and if you aren't comfortable with it why take the chance. You should talk to the person watching your child and make sure that they will understand and respect your ways if not you may need to find someone that will.
    Mommy0425

Answer by Mommy0425 at 8:20 PM on Feb. 17, 2009