If you are on WIC

and you use the checks to get organic milk are you abusing the system because organic is more expensive? i'm on wic and since all we buy is organic milk since its so much better for our kids, we also get organic milk with our wic checks. Do you consider this to be abuse of the system? I don't, but I got some pretty weird looks today when I pulled out my wic to pay for organic milk.

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 2:13 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Money & Work

• I am not on WIC but I am a grocery cashier who deals with it on a daily basis. In our state they are allowed to get organic milk but that is the only organic thing they can get. I dont think it is an abuse of the system. Some people just like things that are more natural. I think it is dumb that you can get organic milk but not organic eggs. I do think it is bad when you see people with WIC buying things like lobster or alcohol or cigarettes when they are using WIC checks. These people are generally low income and if they cant afford stuff for their babies why are they buying unneccasary stuff.
    Anonymous

• I bet you did get some weird looks, considering a lot of people who work everyday can't afford to buy organic milk. I would love to be able to afford organic milk, but we only make $80K a year-I am soooo getting on WIC!
    Anonymous

• I get WIC but in my area we have to get the store brand of Milk
    LTLDEB

Answer by LTLDEB at 2:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• No way do I consider that abuse. It's better than regular whole milk and if you go over the amount on the wic check you can just pay the difference.

Anonymous

• I don't think it's anyone's business. Usually, WIC won't allow organic milk so just be thankful you are allowed to buy it with those checks.
    Anonymous

• wic for me wont allow it . my daughter has to and i mean HAS to be on soy and they wont let her have that either
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:21 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I am VERY thankful, and I am also thankful that we are able to get it from the commissary on base, so that the milk is cheaper than it is in other grocery stores. I pay $3.70 for a half gallon of organic right now. I get what is on the wic, and it lasts about 2 weeks, and then the rest I buy myself. So basically only half my milk per month comes from wic.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:21 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• we make less than 80 k a year and we buy organic. no I don't think that is abuse either.
    Anonymous

• Ummm yes Anon 1:16 it is other people's business considering WIC is federally funded and a portion of their paycheck is going to the person on WIC!!
    It's a real ass burner when you see people on WIC buying chips and steaks, when some taxpayers can't afford to eat like that!
    Anonymous

could this be any more rude?!
    momie_of_munch2

Answer by momie_of_munch2 at 2:23 PM on Feb. 17, 2009