At what age is it okay to switch from rear facing to foward facing?

I really can't remember at what age we switched my daughter, and I couldn't find an offical age when I searched. Opinions and actual info is greatly appreciated!

ShiasMom

Asked by ShiasMom at 2:17 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• One year is the minimum- it's the law.
    But it's BEST to keep them rear facing as long as the convertible seat will allow... even to 3 years. And here is why... in the event of a crash a young childs spine isn't mature enough to withstand the force of the crash... they can have major trama leading to spinal cord injury and even internal decapatation!!!
    Please learn more about extended rear facing before turning your son around
    Here is a good video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2DVfqFhseo
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:51 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• It used to be one year, but my ped said they're now recommending you wait until two years if possible.
    flmom321

Answer by flmom321 at 2:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• the legal min. age is 1 AND 20lbs. but pp is right. some docs. want you to wait as long as possible..they're saying till your child is like 4 or something..im gonna face my child foward the same time as my other 2..1 yr AND 20lbs.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:20 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• One year and a minimum weight of 20 lbs
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:21 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I think i remember something on my friends carseat instructions (she has a 3 in 1 carseat) that said 1 yr...and i remember her saying that she is waiting to turn her carseat around the day after her birthday
    You may call your childs dr, im sure they would know when a good age would be/is and would be more than happy to tell you, since your child's health and safety is what they are about =)
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 2:21 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• totally depends on the carseat. there are newborn seats that you can set up in the car either way.

so you need to check the carseat, not the age.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 2:22 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Thank you all so much, my son is already over 20 lbs...and he's 10 months...so I guess I just have to wait til after his b-day...thanks
    ShiasMom

Answer by ShiasMom at 2:24 PM on Feb. 17, 2009