If I'm considering getting back into the workforce, do I really need a resume? If so how do I do one without exact dates?

I'm considering overnight stocking type of positions so as not to interfere with kids going to school. I can get the information from my last job (salary, dates, etc) but previous jobs I don't remember dates it was like 13+ years ago. If I really need one is there a good site that can help me? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on May. 14, 2013 in Money & Work

• I'd just guess the dates at this point.. I doubt they'd look into anything deeper than just what it says on your resume if it was 13+ years ago.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 1:44 PM on May. 14, 2013

• I would "guess" dates, but make sure you keep records of your "guessed" dates so you can be consistent. Also, only use a month and year; a day isn't necessary. Good luck!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 1:48 PM on May. 14, 2013

• I'd try to stick to month and year.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:55 PM on May. 14, 2013

• Nope, I wouldn't put dates. I'd only put down my skills. They can ask about dates at the interview.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:00 PM on May. 14, 2013

• You don't need the exact date (June 14, 2000), just a month and year. If you can't remember exact month, try to think of something that would give you a rough estimate - you remember having to work 4th of July but you were looking for a new job the day after Labor Day, so you could go with August 2000, for example. If they do happen to contact someone and get a different date, that should keep it from being too far off and you can simply attribute it to a faulty memory. If you really aren't sure, then just go with years (2000-2004), and if they ask, just be honest that you cannot remember the dates. Be consistent throughout the resume - if there's even just one job that you can only do years, then do just years on all of them. Otherwise, that could flag it for their attention and make them wonder.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:21 PM on May. 14, 2013

• I believe a resume is needed.

It's truly the "First impression" they will get on you. Keep it neat and simple and to the point!

For my resume on jobs i was unsure of the dates, I put a time i believed it was and stuck to just the years since my jobs have all been more than a couple years this worked out best. If the jobs you were at were a short time frame, months would look better.

Be sure, if you are guessing on dates, that the dates do not overlap unless that is how you worked (2 jobs at once)

Stick to your BULLETS of skills and experience. As someone that has gone through resumes upon hiring at my previous job, tht is really what they look at most. Does this persons skills and experience pertain to THIS job position they are applying for.

Also, any 'work' you did outside of an actual company, if it applies to the position, put that down as well.

If this is a labor job, put your weight lifting amount.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:13 PM on May. 14, 2013

• Good luck finding a job.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:15 PM on May. 14, 2013

• That type of job doesn't sound like it would require a resume, and most likely only requires you to fill out an application instead. Still, it's a good idea to put all of your work history, dates, references and skills onto paper so it will be easier to fill out the application. You can always call the employer's office and ask how the application process goes. Then, they will say what documents you would need to send in or bring with you. You don't have to have exact dates, just the approximate month and year. You can even explain that it's been so long ago that you had to estimate it when you get to the interview stage. I would only mention it in the interview. Most people don't have exact dates, so don't worry about that.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 6:43 PM on May. 14, 2013

• Use a skills resume rather than a chronological resume. Here is one example although it is very extensive, but it is simply to get across the idea of focusing on your skills. GL!

http://www.careerbuilder.com/Article/CB-678-Cover-Letters-Resumes-Basic-Skills-Resume/

silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:29 PM on May. 14, 2013