My coworker said she read a book full of "black slang", should i mention this to my boss???

i did ask her why she said it. she said oh i was telling everyone i liked this book but i had to get past the black slang... i said wow!! thats a racial slur and its something that shouldnt be said. she didnt care to much i sent a email because i didnt want to argue with her. i know im not perfect but saying racial slurs is not my thing. she hasnt replied to the email and i doubt if she does.

rosesrred1

Asked by rosesrred1 at 3:51 PM on May. 14, 2013 in Money & Work

• Why would your boss care what kind of book she reads?
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 3:54 PM on May. 14, 2013

• I would not say anything. If she slips up at work using racial slurs, they will deal with it.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:56 PM on May. 14, 2013

• Did she say "black slang"? Or did she say something that is considered black slang? I don't understand why this is report worthy.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:02 PM on May. 14, 2013

• There are different levels of using racial slurs.There are books that are written with a particular dialect ,that doesn't make it a slur because someone doesn't like reading in a dialect.I tried to read a book and it was full of Cajun dialect .It was very difficult and irritating .It doesn't mean I am anti -Cajun.

Anonymous

• I don't get it, maybe it was one of those "had to be there".. Either way, I don't see this as something to report to your boss.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:04 PM on May. 14, 2013

• I don't see the big deal. A lot of books write with certain dialects, that doesn't make the book or the reader racist. Some books are hard to read because of this.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:05 PM on May. 14, 2013

• Whats the real reason you want this co worker dismissed?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 4:11 PM on May. 14, 2013

• You're too sensitive.. I really don't see what the big deal is.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 4:14 PM on May. 14, 2013

• well i asked because she always mention prejudiced things, im the only black person in the office. its how she says things. she called the temp the help.. i mean really why so rude??? is all im saying. i didnt mention it to my boss but im sick of her thinking she can say whatever she wants. ok maybe its just me... i dont want her dismissed i just think she needs to watch what she says. its not what you say its how you say it.
    rosesrred1

Comment by rosesrred1 (original poster) at 4:17 PM on May. 14, 2013

• Have you read "A Clock Work Orange"? or "Harry Potter"?
    You have to get used to the made up words before you can comprehend what they mean.
    I'm assuming this is what your co-worker means.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:21 PM on May. 14, 2013