How do I start?

I'm 35 but I look much younger. My bf wants to take me to a hotel with a pool and hot tub. But that means a swim suit which I don't have. I'm about 50 lbs overweight and would like to change that before buying a suit. Also, I would like to be a healthier weight. I think I want to lose weight for all the right reasons.

Diets don't work for me mostly because it's not that I eat a lot, I just don't exercise enough. The summer after my ex left me, I lost a lot of weight and was down to almost my ideal weight because I went for a lot of walks. I don't have the time or money or want to join a gym.

I've thought about taking up running, but I'm not really sure how to start. Any pointers?

tempsingl3mom

Asked by tempsingl3mom at 9:25 PM on May. 14, 2013 in Diet & Fitness

• Couch to 5K is a great running program! Give it a go!
    It may be that you aren't eating ENOUGH to lose weight, too. There's a fine line between too much and too little sometimes.
    You ought to check out the Healthy Weight Loss group here!
    Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:26 AM on May. 19, 2013

• Check out the Couch to 5k program. They have a website and a phone app, and while they'll happily sell you all the associated products you're willing to buy, the basic phone app is free, and that's enough to get you started.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:27 PM on May. 14, 2013

• For me, an integral part of my lifestyle change was the LoseIt app. I'm now 13 lbs from my goal weight and all I do is a brisk walk every day and watch my calories based on what the app tells me.

I loved the Couch to 5K program but my knees killed me running so I had to stick with the walking.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:33 PM on May. 14, 2013

• You start out slow. Good for you to recognize you want to lose weight, but the healthy way. This takes time. I think it's important to point out that you won't lose the 50 pounds overnight. So, be patient with the progress. It's about making little changes as time goes on picking healthier foods and incorporating excersise.
    Good luck to you! :)
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 12:04 PM on May. 24, 2013

• I agree with the couch to 5k program. Also losing weight is a lifestyle change and it is 80% diet/20% exercise. I can calculate your BMR and give you the daily calorie range you need to stay in. From there, you can eat healthy and record your calories in a program like My Fitness Pal or Spark People.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:30 PM on May. 14, 2013

• Green coffee bean extract!

405mom

Answer by 405mom at 6:08 PM on May. 15, 2013

• Thank you all for the helpful comments. I checked out the couch to 5k and I like the concept. Unfortunately, I can't download the app for my phone as my phone is not compatible. I've also discovered that I'm not eating enough. On a typical day, I'm lucky if I have 500 calories. So, this week was all about eating more, eating healthy, exercising a little, and no soda. I lost 3 lbs which isn't much but I feel good about those 3 lbs as I know they were done the healthy way.
    tempsingl3mom

Comment by tempsingl3mom (original poster) at 2:52 PM on May. 26, 2013

• You can't look at this as anything other than a lifestyle change. If you aren't taking in enough calories than excise won't help you. Also, the change is more diet than exercise. Don't get me wrong, running or any other kind of activity is great for you, but it compliments healthy eating habits. If you can't download C25K, there are other apps that are similar that may be compatible with your device. good luck!
    txgrlatheart1

Answer by txgrlatheart1 at 5:00 PM on Jun. 17, 2013