Applying for a job with a disability

When during the interview process do you divulge the disability?
SO has the phone interview tomorrow
This interview is in three parts. Phone. In person then test. ( i think thats all)
His disability is a brain injury. Meaning he gets over loaded and has to take time off
It is ADA protected
But when during the interview process do you think the special considerations should be brought up?

feralxat

Asked by feralxat at 11:05 PM on May. 14, 2013 in Money & Work

• But if he needs accommodation, he must tell the employer he has a disability. So he would have make a written request for the specific accommodation. Then his employer will ask for proof of his disability (a doctor's note). Then company must then make necessary accommodations within a reasonable time. If he do not want an accommodation, there may be no need to tell his employer about his disability. Here is a link that will tell him what rights are protected under the ADA .

http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/ada18.html

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:22 AM on May. 15, 2013

• Did he fill out an application? If so, it should have asked about accommodations for disabilities on it. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:15 PM on May. 14, 2013

• You don't legally have to...but many employers will not be happy if they find out after they hire you, not because they wouldn't necessarily still hire you but because they would feel you were not be truthful.

They can ask you if you can complete the work with or without accommodation, which is a yes and no question and at times they ask if you need accomadations, though that is not always the case.

I don't know if they can legally ask you to list what your disability is before hiring you.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:12 AM on May. 15, 2013

• I have never filled out an application that did not ask if there were any health considerations or restrictions.
    You have to fill out the form truthfully but you do ont have to volunteer information.
    If it a case where he can only work 3 hours and then has to take off for an hour and can do 3 more maximum, I would suggest telling them straight up.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:30 AM on May. 15, 2013

• "When during the interview process do you divulge the disability.."OP
    He probably shouldn't volunteer any information about his disability, unless he needs to be accommodated to fill out the application. Because even though discriminating against someone because of a disability is illegal, companies still do it. When he is applying the job, the company cannot ask him about his health, and if your husband does tell his potential employer he has a disability, the employer cannot ask him about the nature or severity of his disability. But depending on what kind of job he wants to be hired for, the company can make all incoming employees have a physical exam and can only refuse to hire him based on the physical if it shows that he would be unable to perform the job even with reasonable accommodations.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:15 AM on May. 15, 2013

• "That info is really helpful"OP
    I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, and I learned the hard way of telling employer, I do not get hired. Illegal yes, but proving that is almost impossible..
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:11 AM on May. 15, 2013

• I have a special needs child and they don't hire you if you have that either.....I cannot mention my childs dx at all, unfortunately we volunteer with an autism group and employers usually ask about that and why...and then I don't hear anything back but I havent worked as a nurse in over 14 years...so wat do you do? damned if you do and damned if you don't.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 10:13 PM on May. 19, 2013

• depends
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 9:28 PM on May. 24, 2013

• Thanks guys
    Ill share the info
    Wish us luck :)
    feralxat

Comment by feralxat (original poster) at 12:55 AM on May. 15, 2013

• MM thanks for the link
    He doesnt need a physical thank goodness. Its a phone job
    He will need accomodations because of the geadaches:(

That info is really helpful
    feralxat

Comment by feralxat (original poster) at 2:28 AM on May. 15, 2013