Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to adopt my step children in Wisconsin

long story short my husbands kids mother is no longer in there life and ive been taking care of my boys for the last 2years and i want to adopt them does anyone know how i go about doing this cause i hate seeing them crushed when she promises to see them and doesnt follow through with it

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 PM on May. 14, 2013 in Adoption

Answers (11)
  • Get a consult with an adoption attorney. They should be able to advise you after asking specific questions about your situation.

    Answer by QuinnMae at 11:21 PM on May. 14, 2013

  • do you know where i find such place

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:25 PM on May. 14, 2013

  • Look in the phone book under Family Law.
    And use punctuation.

    Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:33 PM on May. 14, 2013

  • lol agreed. It can be a long process and the laws are different in each state. It took me nearly 3 years to get my son's adoption(my husband adopted) finalized. I had a lawyer

    Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:25 AM on May. 15, 2013

  • She has to give her permission for you to adopt them.
    This is what I have been told.

    Answer by Dardenella at 12:26 AM on May. 15, 2013

  • In certain circumstances she doesn't many states have an abandonment clause(which is what I use to terminate my son's biofather's rights). But in most it is at least 2 yrs no contact whatsoever. Meaning no phone calls, no letters, nothing.

    From what you have said this would not be the case(protecting them from continuous broken promises) and you would have to have her permission to adopt.

    Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:39 AM on May. 15, 2013

  • Good luck. But please understand that even if you adopt the children and become their mother legally, they'll still have issues to work through as far as how they feel about their biological mom not keeping her promises. Some things you cant fix. It's great that you are therefor the kids.

    Answer by Ballad at 9:58 PM on May. 25, 2013

  • thanks for all the help and yes i know my step kids will always have issues cuz of their biological mom abandening them but wutever i can do to fill that hole they fill im going to do it

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:20 AM on May. 31, 2013

  • Adopting your step children is fairly simple. We used our family lawyer and it was a fairly quick procedure. However, my daughters biological mother is not alive. You may have trouble with the mother and getting her to agree. But there is the abandonment clause and the mental issues she causes the children. A child therapist has been very helpful in blending our family and any issues that arise. We are having trouble with the biological mothers family. The law states unfairly that a step parent has less leverage than others. It is not fair and I am going to work on changing this. Of course there should be guidelines so that the child wouldn't be taken away without visitation or contact unless under extreme circumstances. The circumstances in this case are extreme no doubts. If anyone has anything I can check out or somewhere to start let me know. Good luck with your adopting your husbands biological children!

    Answer by lucygirl0269 at 7:44 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

  • If she is contacting them, that means you probably don't meet the qualifications for abandonment. I doubt you'll be able to do it without her consent.

    Answer by DDDaysh at 3:32 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.