How often do you change the oil?

In your deep fryer I have never owned one and is curious about the taste of foods like if I fried taco shells one day and then potatoes another day wouldn't there be a funny taste to the food. How would I do this correctly. I don't want to eat french fries that taste like tacos...lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:29 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Food & Drink

• It all depends on what you are frying. Some foods, such as fish, will leave a very strong taste behind, so you would want to change the oil after frying them. But, there are foods with high water content, such as potatoes and onions (for onion rings) that after so many times, will leave so much water that it takes longer for the oil to heat up. I use peanut oil also, to help with taste issues. Pretty much, I change the oil for 3 reasons: 1. strong taste, 2. taking forever to heat up, 3. when the oil is much, much darker than it started out as. Oh, also, if I haven't used it in a long time, say 2 or 3 months, I'd go ahead and change it, unless I know the oil was put in just before I stopped using it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:31 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• thats when i change it. when food starts to taste the same LOL
    otherwise hubby will change it when he wants too
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 2:30 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• You should use different oil for raw meat than veggies and such. If you aren't doing meat then whenever stuff starts to taste weird.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 2:33 PM on Feb. 17, 2009