My son gags himself and makes himself puke!

MY 2 (almost 3) yr old son gags when he puts food in his mouth that isn't what he wants. If I ask him to try something, he will take a bite and then gags until he pukes while it is in his mouth.

Has anyone else dealt with this?

Will he grow out of it?

Is there anything I can do?

MorbidFraggle

Asked by MorbidFraggle at 2:30 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i only experience things like that from one family so far. and their twins did it because they were crying for attention. Their mother didnt give a damn about them. so they did something to get attention: throwing up on purpose.

but i really doubt that this is the problem here, because since you ask this question you really care about it.

Not really sure what could be wrong with him. maybe something is wrong with his throat and he really has problems to swallow?!
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 2:36 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• He has no problems swallowing. I think it is more with him being picky. He eats the things he loves just fine. It is only when I try to get him to eat the rest of his meal.

I don't make him special food, he eats the same dinner as the rest of us.

I just don't know what to do.
    MorbidFraggle

Answer by MorbidFraggle at 2:40 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• My son does that occationally (he's 3). I get on to him when he starts gagging; I know what he's doning and he's not choking, so there is no excuse for it. He just wants what he wants and he thinks that will get it for him, however it doesn't. Instead it just gets his mouth wiped off and him another bite to make up for. He doesn't do it after that, and he won't do it for a couple of weeks after that instance either. He knows that I won't back down and he's going to eat his dinner, and in some cases what he asked for. Oh my goodness, sorry, that really drives me nuts. When he says he wants to eat something and then when I give it to him he decides he doesn't want it. I just say "Well, you asked for it, so you need to eat it. We don't wasted food." He gets over it. Yours will too.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 3:00 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• My son does it to! Man am I glad to hear I am not alone in this. He just turned 4 but he's been doing it since he was 3. I'm sure eventually he will stop. We think it's him just thinking to much about what's in his mouth rather then just enjoying the flavor. He's already skeptical about putting it in his mouth so after we finally convince him to take a bite we believe he just thinks about it to much. We just started being more lenient with him when it comes to food. We don't sit there and try to coax him into trying something anymore. We let him do it on his own. We also realized that he hates the texture of most pasta. I would say just don't be pushy when it comes to him eating. As long as he is healthy that is all that matters.
    vnw1405

Answer by vnw1405 at 3:51 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• When your son is done or doesn't want to eat any more don't make him. Just let him be done and you finish your meal. Ignore his gagging attempts. He will grow out of this. However I do know that when I was 4 yrs. old, all of the sudden I didn't like cows milk and when I would drink it I would gag and puke. Maybe your son does get it in his head that for some reason he doesn't like the texture so it grosses him out. Just don't force him. My son went through a faze where he would spit food out that he would normally be eating, it passed after a month or so and now he's trying more things.
    Anonymous

• My son is going to be 4 next month and he is just diving me crazy. He doesn't want to try anything new. He has like 6 things that he likes and that's all he wants to eat. Sometimes I don't care but there are times that I just don't understand why he wont just take a bite. It's not a big deal I think to my self. He gags and throws up. I'm not sure if it's for attention or what but I seriously can't take it anymore. I tell his doctor, he tells me to let him stay hungry until he finally eats what you are serving him. I try it but then I feel so horrible to know he is so hungry. I'm so stresesd. This kid seiously doesn't want to try anything new. HELP!
    KarmenI

Answer by KarmenI at 9:51 PM on Apr. 6, 2009