Is my five year old two young to help with the Laundry??

Do you think he is too young to be helping me with the laundry? He loves to help.

Perhaps I should just sit down and watch my soaps while he does it....would that be wrong??

tntmom1027

Asked by tntmom1027 at 4:02 AM on May. 15, 2013 in General Parenting

• Yr mean :)
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 4:03 AM on May. 15, 2013

• My niece is five and she loves helping with laundry. I let her help me sort and add the clothes to the washer. She pours detergent and fabric softener (I handle the bleach) and she helps me transfer clothes from the washer to the dryer. She also helps fold simple things like wash clothes and underwear. I let her help with pretty much anything I do. I keep her a lot and, since I have farm animals, she loves milking cows, brushing horses, carrying feed buckets, filling water troughs, feeding the animals, pitching hay and so on. She loves helping!
    Cowgirl_Coyote

Answer by Cowgirl_Coyote at 4:38 AM on May. 15, 2013

• LOL My 4 year old loves to help with the laundry too. Trying to teach her to fold is killing me though
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:35 AM on May. 15, 2013

• Kids who are interested in a task/process and who want to help are not too young to help! Particularly if the task in question is laundry. My sons are 4 & they help me out with laundry, washing dishes, stacking firewood.

As for whether or not he should do it on his own, I think that's a matter of mastery and only you can assess where he's at with the task.

Staying engaged & working together sometimes is important because connection & participation/joining may be a primary goal or desire underlying a child's interest in helping, and that can go away if a parent checks out & leaves the task to the child. But that is not always the case. It depends on the situation, the child, and what they get out of the task. If it's intrinsically rewarding to them itself, then they will pursue it & enjoy it whether or not you're engaged. If they are working to participate & contribute, working together or parallel might help.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 5:55 AM on May. 15, 2013

• You're going to burn in hell for making that baby help with laundry. It doesn't matter if he likes it, you sit his lil butt down in front f cartoons instead!! Humph. ;)
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 7:19 AM on May. 15, 2013

• Doing it together and bonding is the key. Plus he s learning a skill. Enjoy it together.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:50 AM on May. 15, 2013

• I wish mine still wanted to help like he did when he was 5. Back then he'd beg to help fold clothes. Now when he's supposed to do it, it's like pulling teeth.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:01 AM on May. 15, 2013

• I don't see anything wrong with him helping. Even if he didn't want to, chores can be good for kids. The fact that he wants to help is even better. I don't know that I'd trust him to do it all by himself - I don't even trust my 12 yr old that far yet! lol He'll do it all, but I supervise to make sure he doesn't put in too much detergent or forget to turn the dryer on (although, I've been the one to forget to turn the dryer on! lol)
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:44 AM on May. 15, 2013

• I see no reason that he can't help sort.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:14 AM on May. 15, 2013

• my 4 year old helps me...shoot she does all the sorting haha. i even let her throw it in the machine after i've set it & added soap. its a back saver!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:34 AM on May. 15, 2013