would you punish your 6 yr old for asking another child to pull down their pants?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes, that's inappropriate. I would have a consequence.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:33 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I wouldn't punish even though that is what we might want to do but they are only children have a talk with them if that doesn't work send them to their room and have them think about what they did tell them that is inappropriate behaivor. GL

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:34 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I think the child needs a good long talking to about whats appropriate. I don't think a punishment is in order. If the child was a different sex it may just be curiosity.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 2:36 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Punish? Probably not if it was done as common, age-appropriate curiosity. If he tried to coerce or force the other child, then yes. If that was the case, I'd probably also consider counseling since I would wonder who had taught him to use coersion or force for this.

I would certainly use this as a chance to go over privacy and safety rules again: If it's covered by underpants, it's private, situations involving older kids and playmates, "stranger danger" situations, etc.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:37 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• no.
    I would explain to him that it is inappropriate and that that is a private area of the body.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 7:21 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• At this age its curiosity and I would talk to him about whats appropriate and whats not but I wouldn't punish him.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:28 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• No, not the first time. I would explain to them that it is not acceptable or appropriate behavior. If it happend again..then yes, i would hand out some form of punishment.
    nana2u10

Answer by nana2u10 at 6:42 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I agree I would not punish him. I would talk to him about why he asked someone to pull their pants down. I would also talk about what is appropriate and what is not.

Kids this age are curious and sadly he may have heard someone else saying something like this.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:53 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• No. But I would have a talk with them about what is private and appropriate.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:52 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I would not punish him. All kids are curious...and it was probably done out of sheer curiosity.

I would definately sit down and have a talk with him.

And don't use a harsh or judgemental tone.
    Telle0507

Answer by Telle0507 at 10:53 AM on Feb. 18, 2009