Should I still make payments if a debt collector is taking me to court?

They did not have my current address on file so I didn't get any of their letters until my dad told me about it two days ago.

I called and they said there wasn't anything I could do besides pay in full by Friday ($2313) and they wouldn't take me to court, but I don't have all that money. He said I could still make payments towards my balance but it wouldn't stop them from taking me to court.

Should I try and pay what I can on it or just wait until they sue me? I have anxiety really bad and don't think I'd do well in a court room.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on May. 15, 2013 in Money & Work

• If you continue making payments they will look like fools in court. They set up a payment arrangement and you've stuck to it. It will show they aren't holding their side of the deal up.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:06 AM on May. 15, 2013

• We have not set up any payment arrangements, he said I could make a first payment that goes toward my balance, but they would still sue me. I feel like if I start making payments now it will look better to a judge if I end up having to go?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:09 AM on May. 15, 2013

• when is court?
    if soon, i would not pay anything n it (unless you are already paying on it monthly)
    you may get to pay a portion of it when you go to court
    they MIGHT take a large % of it

but i have never been in this position- so take my opinion with a grain of salt

what is the amount, who do you owe, and how long have you had this bill, have you paid anything on it
    ?
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:14 AM on May. 15, 2013

• oh if that's the case then NO i will not do payments since you're going to court anyways and you can ask the court to set up the payment arrangements for you. They can't expect you to pay such a large sum all up front.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:15 AM on May. 15, 2013

• can they take you to court? I have never had a creditor threaten that...

who is this owed to?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:17 AM on May. 15, 2013

• its a hospital bill and the guy said if i don't pay it in two days they will take me to court, i know they lie a lot but i'm too nervous about going to court to not believe him. I have not paid anything on this bill and its 2 years old.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:20 AM on May. 15, 2013

• Oh and I have not gotten anything about a court date or them taking me to court, just that they will in two days if i dont pay it in full.
    Anonymous

• I would tell them that I don't have that money, and they have two choices: they accept what I can afford to pay, which eventually gets them their money, or they take me to court and I explain to the judge how they kept sending their letters to the wrong address and that when I called to make arrangements to clear the debt, they simply threatened me with court and refused to work with me. I'm sure the courts will order you to pay, since you do owe the debt, but the judge isn't going to be too happy about dealing with a case that one party tried to resolve and the other refused to even try.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:46 AM on May. 15, 2013

• I would go ahead and make payments. Figure out what you can pay each month and do it. It will be months before they get you in to court and if you have a record of payments it will look really good for you.

Answer by missanc at 11:34 AM on May. 15, 2013

• Should I call and ask for an agreement in writing?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:46 AM on May. 15, 2013