Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does my landlord have to accept payments for damages?

We're moving soon and there are some obvious repairs here that probably won't be covered by my deposit. Does my landlord have to accept payments for the repairs, because it's doubtful I can come up with enough cash at once to pay her? I'm worried she's going to try to sue me over this.


Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on May. 15, 2013 in Home & Garden

This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • Ask her if you can pay her off. She will most likely want the guarantee in writing & if you don't pay her she can take you to Small Claims Court for the money. Either fix it or pay.

    Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:56 AM on May. 15, 2013

  • She doesn't HAVE to, but she might if you explain the situation. I would do as charlot suggested, and fix what you can yourself before you move. Then with what's left, go to her and admit that you did the damage and explain you want to take responsibility, but you can't afford it all right now. If you're honest and open and clear that you want to take care of it but need a little help, she'll be more likely to work with you than if you simply demand she take payments or if you want for her to come to you about it.

    Answer by wendythewriter at 10:42 AM on May. 15, 2013

  • fix the stuff yourself, before you leave

    I don't think they will take payments

    Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:39 AM on May. 15, 2013

  • No, she doesn't have to accept a payment plan.  Your best bet to to contact her and see if you can put something in writing. 


    Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:39 AM on May. 15, 2013

  • Talk to her in advance instead of leave it there for her to see.

    Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:56 AM on May. 15, 2013

  • No she does not have to accept a payment plan and may very well take you to court.
    I would do as many of the repairs as I could myself. And I would talk to her. If she is willing to accept a plan make sure you have a legal agreement signed by both of you.
    Really it would be better to take out a loan and pay her what is owed.

    Answer by Dardenella at 11:54 AM on May. 15, 2013

  • What kind of damage are you talking about? I would take charlot's suggestion and do the repairs yourself. It would be a lot cheaper than paying the landlord to have someone come out and do repairs for them.
    So, what's the damage? Maybe some of us DIYers can give you a virtual hand and let you know how easy or hard repairs will be.

    Answer by QuinnMae at 10:50 AM on May. 15, 2013

  • There's a cracked window, some blinds that need replaced, and some damage to the linoleum that we didn't cause, but happened while living here. There are a couple of holes in the wall, but we can fix those for sure. Also there is damage to 2 doors that will need replaced.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:05 AM on May. 15, 2013

  • We had another apartment here before, and bought all new blinds for all of the windows and still got dinged for the replacement because they didn't match company standards even though they're just cheap metal blinds and we put up good ones.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:06 AM on May. 15, 2013

  • Try to fix it yourself before you move.
    How is that the place got trashed?

    Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:50 PM on May. 15, 2013