My mother is crazy!

My mother is absolutely nuts!

All through my childhood growing up, she would tell me im dramatic. If i cried too much over being hurt, i was dramatic, if something made me sad, i was dramatic, if there was an argument and i was passionate about it and stood up for myself, i was dramatic.

I always hated her telling me that. It really put down my self-esteem. Im now an adult and have my own child, and she still, tells me im dramatic. If we get in an argument about something, she'll say why do you act like that? why do you act dramatic? Which makes me more angry! I think she does it JUST to make me mad.

Well, she tells MY daughter this now. Since i grew up hearing it 24/7, i always hated it and i do not want my daughter to have these same things told to her.

Today, they were playing around and my daughter got hurt and cried, no big deal it wasn't anything major but she did get hurt so she cried. I went down there and said, "what happened". My mom said, "nothing shes a drama queen just like you are!" I ignored that comment and just said (very calmly because i feel i have to walk on egg shells or shell jump down my throat) well shes crying for some reason, what happened? my mom said they were playing and she got hurt and shes just being dramatic. I asked her "please stop telling her shes dramatic, i was always told that when i was little and it really hurt my feelings."

What does she say? "Stop being dramatic! I can say what i want" WTH??

NOOO YOu cannot say or do whatever you want to MY child. its my kid.

How do i get through to her that she cannot SAY or DO whatever she wants to my daughter?

I need to get away from her!!!! Ahhhhhh!!! (Clearly there is more than just this ONE event)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on May. 15, 2013 in Relationships

• Oh well then you are getting screwed! lol

I also don't think she is going to change, people rarely do when it is something that this that is just ingrained in their character.

good luck
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:44 AM on May. 15, 2013

• Tell her if she continues to say that to your child, you will not allow her to see her anymore. Don't let her destroy your DDs self-esteem like she did to yours.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:19 AM on May. 15, 2013

• I would tell her that you will not have your child grow up being told something that you know will hurt her. Sit down with her (away from dd) and let her know exactly how much it has hurt you for her to say that to you your entire life and that you will not have her doing the same to your daughter.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:35 AM on May. 15, 2013

• Do you live with her?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:26 AM on May. 15, 2013

• No. She watches my daughter while we work.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:31 AM on May. 15, 2013

• I agree with Lostsoul and you are probably going to have to find a new sitter, unless you want your daughter to feel the same way you do/did.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:36 AM on May. 15, 2013

• find a new sitter. Your child's feelings are worth more then free childcare
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:40 AM on May. 15, 2013

• Thats what i was thinking also. :( I feel like it is impossible to get through to her.
    Kword, even if i tried to sit down with her, she will make it into a big fight and nothing will get resolved. I don't know how to get through to her.

It's saddening actually.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:41 AM on May. 15, 2013

• and its not free child care! lol
    Anonymous

• So you are living in her place? Get you own and put some distance between you and stop being so dramatic. She is not crazy just because she does something you do not like.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:48 AM on May. 15, 2013