Boy accused in killing of his sister

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - A 12-year-old boy accused of fatally stabbing his 8-year-old sister in their Central California home is due in juvenile court Wednesday after his attorney said the boy had been charged with murder.

Attorney Mark Reichel told KTVU-TV Tuesday evening that his client has been charged with second-degree murder and a special allegation for use of a dangerous weapon.

Earlier Tuesday, Reichel told The Associated Press that the youngster might have lied about seeing a long-haired man fleeing the scene, but that doesn't make the boy the killer. He said his client might have made up a "macho" story about scaring away the intruder because he was scared.

Reichel said that after visiting with the boy, he and law partner Steve Plesser met with the family and toured the hillside home where the stabbing took place. Reichel declined to say what they spoke about.

"They're all doing as well as can be expected under the circumstances, and the circumstances are not good," Reichel said.

Meanwhile, a recording of a 911 call indicates the mother of Leila Fowler believed she was fine when they called authorities from another location.

In a recording released Tuesday, a woman can be heard calling 911 after getting a call about a mystery intruder from the girl's 12-year-old brother.

The caller, who said she was the girl's mother, said the children, including Leila Fowler, were OK. She was not at home at the time.

"My children are at home alone and a man just ran out of our house. My older son was in the bathroom and my daughter started screaming. He came out and a man was in the house," the panicked caller says in the call made April 27. "They said they're OK."

She added, "My daughter is freaking out right now."

In fact, Leila Fowler was dying of stab wounds.

Her brother told police he scared off an intruder. For two weeks, Calaveras County sheriff's investigators searched door to door for witnesses and evidence.

The children's father, Barney Fowler, was at a Little League game, and the siblings were home alone. The boy called his father and his fiancee to report that Leila had been attacked, and the couple called 911 and sped to the home.

Frightened residents locked their doors and loaded weapons, fearing that a random attack had taken place in their midst.

"How does a 12-year-old commit the perfect crime?" said Reichel, whose firm was part of a team that two years ago successfully defended members of the Hmong community, including former Gen. Vang Pao, against charges they plotted to overthrow the government of Laos.

Reichel declined to comment on the emotional state of the boy or his family.

"They're going through a very difficult time," he said.

Barney Fowler spoke briefly with AP on Monday and said, "Until they have the proper evidence to show it's my son, we're standing behind him. If they have the evidence, well that's another story. We're an honest family."

His 19-year-old son, Justin Fowler, described the family as "being in a fog."

The AP is withholding the boy's name because he is a juvenile and Wednesday's hearing in juvenile court is not open to the public.

Do you believe he did it? What would you do as a parent if these were your children?

I thought it was him from the start since he's story was weird. My heart breaks for the parents not only did they lose their daughter in a horrible way they may lose their son because he may have been the oen that killed his sister.

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 12:44 PM on May. 15, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Do you believe he did it? What would you do as a parent if these were your children?  I hope not, but I do think it makes the most sense.  I hope the police have more information they are keeping to themselves before they made a public accusation against this person.

I thought it was him from the start since he's story was weird. My heart breaks for the parents not only did they lose their daughter in a horrible way they may lose their son because he may have been the oen that killed his sister.  His story didn't really add up, but I was trying to keep an open mind.   I'm not sure how I'd react as a parent, it's really awful. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:44 PM on May. 15, 2013

• Too painful
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:46 PM on May. 15, 2013

• That's so sad but kids these days are NUTS so I think he went bipolar schizophrenic and killed her.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 5:05 PM on May. 15, 2013

• Did they (the police ) find out what made him snap and kill his sister?

Answer by louise2 at 5:44 PM on May. 15, 2013

• "That's so sad but kids these days are NUTS so I think he went bipolar schizophrenic and killed her."405mom
    Are you fucking for real?? Blame it on a mental disorder?! I am sorry, but based on that story, that kid is a psychopath. The fact he came up that story of a "strange man" in his house and that he surprised him and that guy ran out of his home, then calling his parent first?? Instead of 911? he is 12 yr old, he knows enough to call 911 and then he could have called his parents.
    Another thing, a person CANNOT have "bipolar schizophrenic " at the same time, they 2 different mental disorders. Although they do some of the same symptoms, having them both at the same NO. If this kid had either one of them, there would be NO doubt he did it. But the fact he could have made up that story, and then he called his parents, doesn't speak of a kid with either one of these disorders.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:17 PM on May. 15, 2013

• Do you believe he did it? What would you do as a parent if these were your children?

I honestly hope he didn't do it but his story was off and the family will be in my prayers that's a sad thing to hear and know or to even think that any child would do something like that

Shaketa123

Answer by Shaketa123 at 11:32 PM on May. 15, 2013